What Is an Unambiguous Standard for Pulsar Periods?

In summary, when quoting a pulsar's period and period derivative, it is important to specify the date of the observation as the period can change over time. This date is usually given in the measurement and can be found in sources such as books and research papers. However, it is unclear whether the reported period corresponds to the start or end of the observation, as pulsar periods can change significantly over a 24-hour period.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Often I will hear quoted such and such Pulsar has a period of X and a Pdot of Y. However this is somewhat ambiguous to me. If the period is changing, then how does one quote its period? Obviously, by using some unambiguous standard that I am unsure of. Is the reported period (in a paper about an observation, say) the period at the start of the observation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
nicksauce said:
Often I will hear quoted such and such Pulsar has a period of X and a Pdot of Y. However this is somewhat ambiguous to me. If the period is changing, then how does one quote its period? Obviously, by using some unambiguous standard that I am unsure of. Is the reported period (in a paper about an observation, say) the period at the start of the observation?

The date of the measurement is usually given. For example, in his book Was Einstein Right?, Clifford Will writes
Because the pulsar period changes by the quoted amount in the last three digits each year, the measured pulsar period is usually referred to a specific date, in this case, July 7, 1984.

Another example: the fourth column of Table 2 of the pulsar survey paper

http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0303473

gives the date (Modified Julian Date) of each observation.

But just to be clear... does the reported Period correspond to the period at the start of the observation, or the end of the observation or what?

nicksauce said:
But just to be clear... does the reported Period correspond to the period at the start of the observation, or the end of the observation or what?

I'm not sure. A date is given for each observation, so that narrows things down to a twenty-four hour interval. Do pulsar periods change noticeably over twenty-four hours?

1. What is a pulsar period?

A pulsar period is the time it takes for a pulsar, a rapidly rotating neutron star, to complete one full rotation. It is measured in seconds and is extremely precise, with some pulsars having periods as short as milliseconds.

2. Why is an unambiguous standard necessary for pulsar periods?

An unambiguous standard for pulsar periods is necessary because pulsars are used as a celestial clock to measure time and study the universe. With an unambiguous standard, scientists can accurately compare and analyze data from different pulsars.

3. How is an unambiguous standard for pulsar periods determined?

An unambiguous standard for pulsar periods is determined by observing and studying multiple pulsars with known periods. By comparing their periods and characteristics, scientists can establish a standard that can be used for all pulsars.

4. What challenges are involved in establishing an unambiguous standard for pulsar periods?

One challenge in establishing an unambiguous standard for pulsar periods is the fact that pulsars can experience glitches, or sudden changes in their rotation rate. This can affect the accuracy of their periods and make it difficult to establish a standard. Another challenge is that different pulsars may have different characteristics and behaviors, making it hard to find a single standard that applies to all of them.

5. How does having an unambiguous standard for pulsar periods benefit scientific research?

Having an unambiguous standard for pulsar periods allows scientists to accurately compare data from different pulsars and make more precise measurements and predictions. This is especially important in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology, where pulsars are used as tools to study the universe and test theories.