The Blackhole Paradox: Can EM Radiation Escape?

In summary, black holes can intensify gravitational fields and create a strong gravitational lens effect. This can cause EM radiation to be bent and potentially never reach the event horizon. The event horizon of a black hole is spherical and gravitational lensing can occur around any massive object, though it is most noticeable in very massive objects.
protonic_mass
If we can agree that a black hole can exist, and that its gravitational field is intensified with its mass, the we can also agree that its gravity can create one hell of a gravitational lens.

If that is the case, and EM radiation, whatever the frequency, is directed towards the black hole, how can we say that EM radiation cannot escape if it approaches the center? It would make sense that because of the gravitational lens effect, that EM radiation would less likely ever reach the event horizon, as it is guided around the intense gravity field.

I guess I am saying that there is a paradox in which gravity from a black hole cannot indeed repel EM radiation if the gravity itself will turn around and make the EM radiation not escape its event horizon.

Perhaps the center of the black hole is black, not because no EM radiation can escape it, but perhaps because no EM radiation can ever get to it, as it is pushed around the intense gravity field of the black hole itself.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It would make sense that because of the gravitational lens effect, that EM radiation would less likely ever reach the event horizon, as it is guided around the intense gravity field.
You misunderstand what gravitational lensing is and does.

It does not "guide EM rays around the BH", it bends rays that otherwise would have passed the BH by a distance into rays that now converge.

See attached diagram.

Attachments

• PF080713gravlens.gif
    PF080713gravlens.gif
    3.7 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Wow, a picture is worth a thousand words. I understand what you are saying now.I guess this is what I was visualizing:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/news/lens_fig1.gif

I got it from this link:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/features/news/grav_lens.html

I believe I was visualizing a distortion in space time in which gravity would bend light.

The picture you posted is the first representation of light vectors pointing in that direction that I have seen.

Would that picture apply only to black holes if the event horizon was horizonal to the observer, of would it apply to planets and stars as well?

Last edited by a moderator:
protonic_mass said:
Wow, a picture is worth a thousand words. I understand what you are saying now.

I guess this is what I was visualizing:

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/Images/news/lens_fig1.gif
Yes, that is the most common representation, and is also correct. I'd started off describing the effect just like that but then I realized where it was steering you wrong. If interpreted wrong, it could look like the rays are "pushed" apart by the BH.

I've attached another image with the missing rays added in. Note the star is radiating diverging rays in all directions. Some of those rays that would have diverged are bent back toward Earth.

protonic_mass said:
Would that picture apply only to black holes if the event horizon was horizonal to the observer, of would it apply to planets and stars as well?
The event horizon around a black hole is spherical; it will appear the same from all directions.

(Now, an accretion disc OTOH is in a plane, but that has nothing to do with lensing.)

Gravitational lensing will occur, at least in principle, around any mass, though it is proportional to the mass of the object, so only very massive objects have a noticeable effect.

Attachments

• PF080713gravlens2.gif
    PF080713gravlens2.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space with an incredibly strong gravitational pull that not even light can escape from. It is formed when a massive star collapses in on itself and its density becomes infinite.

2. What is the black hole paradox?

The black hole paradox refers to the question of whether or not electromagnetic (EM) radiation, such as light, can escape from a black hole. This is a paradox because according to our current understanding of physics, light cannot escape a black hole, but some theories suggest that it may be possible.

3. Why is it important to understand if EM radiation can escape a black hole?

Understanding if EM radiation can escape a black hole is important because it could help us better understand the behavior of black holes and the laws of physics that govern them. It could also have implications for our understanding of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries.

4. How do scientists study the black hole paradox?

Scientists study the black hole paradox through theoretical models and simulations. They also observe black holes and their surrounding environments using telescopes and other instruments to gather data and analyze it.

5. Is there any evidence that EM radiation can escape a black hole?

Currently, there is no solid evidence that EM radiation can escape a black hole. However, some scientists have proposed theories, such as Hawking radiation, which suggest that under certain conditions, EM radiation may be able to escape a black hole. Further research and observations are needed to confirm or refute these theories.