Question about Jupiter atmosphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of explosions occurring in the high atmosphere of Jupiter due to the presence of hydrogen gas. It is determined that the concentration of hydrogen and oxygen in the atmosphere is too low for an explosion to occur. Other planets with a higher concentration of these gases may have the potential for explosions, but they are unlikely to exist due to the low abundance of oxygen in the universe. Additionally, the stability of a planet with a high concentration of hydrogen and oxygen is questioned, as it would likely result in a spontaneous explosion.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I know it's not a bright question, but I'd like to know the answer as well. I've read that the high atmosphere of Jupiter contains molecules of Hydrogen ([tex]H_2[/tex]). It is well known that (under Earth atmosphere at least), this gas is highly explosive. I just wonder why the atmosphere of Jupiter doesn't explode at least partially. I'm guessing that the concentration of gas on the atmosphere is just way too low to start a fire reaction, but it's only a guess. If it appears to be true, I'd like to know the concentration required to start a fire reaction between Hydrogen molecules. (I know it produces water...in case I'm not specific enough of the gas I'm talking about).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
No, H2 explosion needs O2 as well

Oh you're right... that's why it produces water. Anyway, isn't it possible to find a planet with an atmosphere mixed with hydrogen and oxygen in such quantities that it can interact violently? I don't think it might occur in the Solar System since Jupiter is just heavy enough to retain the hydrogen in its atmosphere... Maybe big explosions occurs in another planets and we might see them then.

More than 75% of the mass of the universe is hydrogen, oxygen only 1%, so big gas planets will be unlikely to have the right mix to make combustion possible.

More than 75% of the mass of the universe is hydrogen, oxygen only 1%, so big gas planets will be unlikely to have the right mix to make combustion possible.
Too bad... It would also be much less brighter than a little star, so there is no hope to observe it.
I believe planets don't fit the global universe statistics of component elements though.
Now I'm thinking about planets that contains liquid (or ice) [tex]H_2[/tex] and [tex]0_2[/tex]. If there is a storm or a cataclysm (say, for example a big cliff falling into the liquefied gases), it would be possible to engender a terrible explosion, but yes, very unlikely to happen.
Thank you both for the clarification. I'm done with this question.

Well, such a thing wouldn't be stable anyway. A hydrogen/oxygen mixture is explosive, so a giant ball of it would simplly explode and then be gone. There is no equilibrium to be had like in a star.

1. What is the composition of Jupiter's atmosphere?

Jupiter's atmosphere is primarily made up of hydrogen and helium gases, with small amounts of methane, ammonia, and water vapor.

2. How thick is Jupiter's atmosphere?

The thickness of Jupiter's atmosphere varies, but it is estimated to be about 5,000 kilometers (3,100 miles) deep.

3. What causes the colorful bands on Jupiter's atmosphere?

The colorful bands on Jupiter's atmosphere are caused by different atmospheric gases and cloud formations. The darker bands are made up of cooler clouds, while the lighter bands are made up of warmer clouds. This creates a distinct pattern of different colors.

4. Is the atmosphere on Jupiter breathable for humans?

No, the atmosphere on Jupiter is not breathable for humans. It is made up of mostly hydrogen and helium, which are not suitable for human respiration. Additionally, the atmospheric pressure on Jupiter is too strong for humans to survive.

5. How does the atmosphere on Jupiter compare to Earth's atmosphere?

Jupiter's atmosphere is much thicker and larger than Earth's atmosphere. It also has different composition and weather patterns, with stronger winds and storms. Earth's atmosphere is also more suitable for human life, with a mixture of oxygen and nitrogen gases.