New Gorgeous Video from Deep Impact

In summary, NASA's Deep Impact mission, launched in 2005, has captured a remarkable video from a distance of 50 million km. The video shows a spinning Earth with visible continents and weather systems, as well as a transit of the moon in front. The transit appears to be faster than the Earth's rotation, which is a stunning sight. Some users have encountered technical difficulties with the link, but it is possible to download the video. However, some have expressed interest in a higher definition version.
sysreset
http://www.nasa.gov/mov/260502main_nir_green_blue2.mov

You may remember Deep Impact was launched in 2005 with the mission of blasting a 370kg bullet into a comet. Now it has taken a remarkable video from a vantage point of 50 million km away of a spinning earth, complete with visible continents and weather systems, with a transit of the moon in front. What struck me was the speed of the transit from this angle: faster than the Earth's rotation. Wow!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
link does not work for me, the website shows a broken quiktime icon, anyone else have this problem, maybe i need quiktime but I am on my work computer, is there an alternative link?

I just got a blank window, however I was able to right click and download the clip.

The link worked fine for me.

Wow, that's quite a sight.

Amazing. I don't know if it is asking a lot or not, but is there a way to get a higher definition video?

1. What is the purpose of the "New Gorgeous Video from Deep Impact"?

The purpose of the new video from Deep Impact is to provide a visual representation of the impact of the spacecraft's probe on comet Tempel 1. This allows scientists to gather more data and insights about the comet's composition and structure.

2. How was the video captured?

The video was captured by the High Resolution Imager (HRI) onboard the Deep Impact spacecraft. The HRI took a series of images at a rate of 1 per second, which were then combined to create the video.

3. What do the different colors in the video represent?

The different colors in the video represent the varying temperatures of the different materials on the comet's surface. Blue and purple areas are colder, while red and yellow areas are warmer.

4. How does this video contribute to our understanding of comets?

This video provides valuable insights into the structure, composition, and behavior of comets. It allows scientists to study the impact process and learn more about the material that makes up comets.

5. What other data is being collected from the Deep Impact mission?

In addition to the video, the Deep Impact mission is also collecting data on the chemical composition of the comet, its surface features, and its dust and gas emissions. This data will help us better understand the formation and evolution of comets in our solar system.