Seeking undergrad advice for physics/chem/biochem

• Thread starter ezec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, the speaker is interested in pursuing a career in research in the field of spectroscopy of proteins, but wants to avoid a triple major. They plan to learn Quantum Mechanics in their free time and are seeking advice on the necessary math skills for this pursuit. The plan is feasible, but a solid understanding of linear algebra and calculus is necessary, with the possibility of also learning probability and analysis.
ezec
I've been certain for the last couple years that I wish to pursue a career in research. I'm interested in the spectroscopy of proteins as a means of understanding biological mechanisms. The problem is that I would like to avoid a triple major if possible. Currently, I'm a community college student getting ready to transfer.

I thought of my general chem classes like a sort of Feynman physics lectures, a dumbed down physics class that offered unique insight in other perspectives and applications. In the same light, I would like to enter upper division chem classes (like physical chemistry) with, first, a good understanding of intro Quantum Mechanics.

If I double major biochem/neuroscience, then I need to learn the physics by myself.

My plan for the next year (during free time):

[1] "Quantum Physics of Atoms, Molecules, Solids, Nuclei, and Particles" Eisberg and Resnick
+Schaums

[2] "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" Griffiths
+Schaums

Is this plan feasible? I will only have taken a combined intro Linear Algebra/Differential equations class by the time I begin Griffiths QM book.
How important are an understanding of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian Mechanics to QM?
What math do I need, in what order, and which can be learned concurrently? Vector Calc, ODE/PDE, Linear Algebra, probability, analysis?

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks.Your plan is quite feasible, provided that you dedicate yourself to learning the material. An understanding of Lagrangian/Hamiltonian mechanics is not absolutely necessary for learning Quantum Mechanics, but it can be helpful in some cases. For math, you will need a good understanding of linear algebra and calculus (vector calculus, ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs)). You may also find it useful to learn probability and analysis if you have the time. It is usually best to start with linear algebra and calculus and work your way through the other topics. Depending on your background, it may be possible to learn some of these topics concurrently. Good luck!

I would first like to commend you for having a clear understanding of your career goals and for taking the initiative to plan your coursework accordingly. Pursuing a career in research requires a strong foundation in the fundamentals of physics, chemistry, and biology, so it is important to carefully consider your course choices.

Your plan to study quantum mechanics in your free time is definitely feasible, but it may require a significant amount of self-discipline and dedication. It is important to keep in mind that quantum mechanics is a challenging subject and may require a deeper understanding of mathematics than what is covered in introductory courses. I would recommend that you supplement your studying with practice problems and seek help from professors or tutors if needed.

An understanding of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics is important for quantum mechanics as it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the principles of quantum mechanics. However, it is not necessary to have a complete mastery of these topics before studying quantum mechanics. It may be helpful to have a basic understanding of these concepts before diving into quantum mechanics, but you can also learn them concurrently as you work through the material.

In terms of mathematics, a strong foundation in vector calculus, ODE/PDE, and linear algebra is essential for understanding quantum mechanics. Probability and analysis may also be helpful, but they can be learned concurrently with your study of quantum mechanics. It is important to have a good understanding of these mathematical concepts in order to fully grasp the principles of quantum mechanics.

Overall, your plan to study quantum mechanics on your own is ambitious and admirable. Just make sure to stay organized, motivated, and seek help if needed. Good luck with your studies!

1. What courses should I take to prepare for a physics/chemistry/biochemistry major?

As a science major, it is important to take a foundation of math and science courses such as calculus, physics, chemistry, and biology in high school. Once you are in college, it is recommended to take introductory courses in each subject to get a better understanding and see which major is the best fit for you. Additionally, it is important to take courses in computer science and statistics, as they are often required for upper-level courses in these majors.

2. How do I balance my coursework and extracurricular activities as a science major?

It can be challenging to balance your coursework and extracurricular activities, but it is important to prioritize your time and find a balance that works for you. Make sure to schedule your time wisely and prioritize your schoolwork. Also, consider getting involved in extracurricular activities related to your major, such as research or club organizations, as they can enhance your learning experience.

3. What should I look for in a research opportunity for a science major?

When looking for research opportunities, it is important to find a project that aligns with your interests and career goals. Look for a research mentor who has experience in the field you are interested in and has a good track record of mentoring students. It is also important to ask about the time commitment and any potential funding opportunities for the research project.

4. How can I prepare for graduate school as a science major?

If you are considering attending graduate school for a science major, it is important to maintain a high GPA, take challenging courses, and get involved in research opportunities. It is also recommended to network with professors and professionals in your field, as they can provide valuable advice and letters of recommendation for graduate school applications.

5. What career options are available for a science major?

A science major can open up a wide range of career options, such as working in research and development, healthcare, education, or government agencies. Additionally, many science majors go on to pursue graduate degrees in their field of study. It is important to research the different career paths available and gain experience through internships or research opportunities to determine which career is the best fit for you.