Achieving a Future in Theoretical Physics: Advice from Experts

• Thread starter Sci.Jayme
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation touches on the individual's background, including their father's career and their own academic pursuits. They express their admiration for a particular physicist and ask for advice on how to follow in his footsteps. Others chime in with recommendations and encouragement to focus on their studies and aim for top grades in math and physics. The conversation also includes discussions on the recommended number of A-levels and the difficulty of university level studies.
Sci.Jayme
Hi all
I am just another nobody compared to the educated people here, hence I lurk around but have nothing accurate and factual to post about to contribute with real graduates. To be frank, I am daunted and no fan of the consistent and perpetual attacks that go around online, the amount of lies and people acting to be knowledgeable professionals who have no clue, the endless e-P contests that arise due to this and the pointless argumentations and aggressiveness, expecting the same if I asked a question or wanted to learn, so I tend to stay aloof. :redface:

I am nearly 17 YO and studying 6x A-Levels in the UK. My father worked in the semiconductor business as a lithography tool operator and later, a microprocessor design engineer in the early 80s but later moved into his real expertise, which was mathematical physics. He worked in the US within a subdivision of the DoE but tragically died during an accident in the early 90s. I want to follow his footsteps and become someone he would've been proud of to do good for humans through science and maths, which he loved and strongly encouraged. So far in my study level, I find the maths and the 3x sciences very easy (but I suppose most would, things like integration/differentiation).

I tend to read here at times and on www.physforum.com[/url] to gain knowledge. Over there, I only read posts of [URL="http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showuser=7197"]mr_homm[/URL], [URL="http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showuser=2997"]rpenner[/URL], [URL="http://www.physforum.com/index.php?showuser=8587"]AlphaNumeric[/URL] and a few other posters who professional friends of my father had advised since too much is waste for me as well as untrustworthy and unconfirmed. One website, the link my mother was given to a while ago for me to study links from, by one of my father's friends who (IIRC) is a professor in theoretical physics, I visit and tend to _try_ and study material from is this: [PLAIN]http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/~g.j.weatherill/ [Broken]

This man called George, the author, writes under his About section that he works at SHEP which is exactly the same place I want to visit and work at in the future, although I am far off. I'd like to study and do research here: http://www.phys.soton.ac.uk/
I can't even understand the work mentioned in many links he cited and yet I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology at A-Levels. Kinda feels very daunting. Since my father died though, I have to work and support family and myself too, so it's become hard. I hardly ever get internet access which means studying is extremely disadvantaged combined with short time. I can only accomplish ~5% of what others with similar pursuits can in any given month and reading books is traditionally not one of my hobbies being very sport taken (unless my head can see how it'll help me, then generally I can read it forever).

Maybe people here know and can advise me how to get to the position of the guy I linked. How would I go about with my career choices to get there... by what age... and how good do I have to be right now at my level to be on course? I am sure people here would've gone through similar routes to be able to help me first hand.

Thanks for any help, greatly appreciated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, welcome to PF: it's always good to have a member come out from the shadows! I have to say that I'm a little surprised by the fact that you're taking on 6 A levels: when I was in school, we only took 3. However, you are taking a good combination of subjects with a view to study physics later on. I think the best advice is just to stick with your studies, and try to get into a good university to study an undergraduate degree in physics. I would not recommend that you target specific departments for postgrad studies yet, since you don't know precisely what you want to study, and won't know until later on in your undergrad studies.

The person you linked to appears to be a grad student in the hep group at southampton. It says in his "about me" page where he has studied: he obtained an undergrad degree in applied maths from cambridge, then took part III and is not studying at southampton.

As for the level you should be, I would say you need to be obtaining A's in at least Maths and Physics A level, although things do get very different once you get into university.

Thanks for the advice cristo. That agrees with what I was hoping was the right way. I have just finished 1st year and in that I actually did 8x A-Levels altogether. I'll narrow it down in this next year but I've been allowed special allowance by the headmaster to do upto 6 if I can cope with it. Teachers recommend 4. Everyone else I know is doing 3, you're right.
cristo said:
The person you linked to appears to be a grad student in the hep group at southampton. It says in his "about me" page where he has studied: he obtained an undergrad degree in applied maths from cambridge, then took part III and is not studying at southampton.
Yes, he's a PhD student at Southampton HEP. I don't know him though.
As for the level you should be, I would say you need to be obtaining A's in at least Maths and Physics A level, although things do get very different once you get into university.
Should I be able to do any of http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/~g.j.weatherill/tutorial/phys2003/PH203PS1.pdf" [Broken] by end of A-Levels?

Sci.Jayme said:
Thanks for the advice cristo. That agrees with what I was hoping was the right way. I have just finished 1st year and in that I actually did 8x A-Levels altogether. I'll narrow it down in this next year but I've been allowed special allowance by the headmaster to do upto 6 if I can cope with it. Teachers recommend 4. Everyone else I know is doing 3, you're right.
Just make sure you can handle that much work. Getting 3 or 4 A grades is a lot better than getting 6 B's.
Should I be able to do any of http://www.hep.phys.soton.ac.uk/~g.j.weatherill/tutorial/phys2003/PH203PS1.pdf" [Broken] by end of A-Levels?
Not unless you do some outside reading. That looks like a second year university course.

I've achieved the goal for the 1st year, 2nd year I am hoping to cut down to 4 and obviously 4 A's. It depends critically on the teacher I get though, one tutor out of 4 I do not get along with at all nor do I learn anything in how he teaches. If such a situation arises, I simply switch off and cannot learn a single word no matter how easy it is.

Ah, no wonder I couldn't understand much of that link. :cool:
When I mean understand, I'm my own biggest critic. I may understand far better than what many online individuals who claim to be professionals do, but unless I can understand it fully down to the core as my professor does, enough to teach it word for word, I won't claim proficiency. I believe teaching any topic helps and develops ones own understanding hugely with regards to it.

Hi Jayme!

I happen to have just completed my 3rd year of undergrad Physics at Southampton, and am just entering my masters. Oddly enough I once sat that problem sheet too, I can safely say that after completing one year of A-level study you are in no way expected to be prepared for that- and it pains me to say I have a fair few of colleagues who struggled with it in year 2!

The amount of A-levels you are taking is impressive! Providing your success at A-level you will be more then qualified for a place at Southampton, who I think regularly offer AAB. Personally I rate Southampton as a dpt, it is friendly (if not a bit ugly) but is also busy with approachable lecturers - all things I like. The SHEP dpt is full of lovely characters too. Having said this, as much you seem to be set on Southampton, make sure you at least browse through other dpt, you never know what might grab your attention.

You appear to have excellent drive, especially considering you said you are supporting yourself on top of a very heavy college workload. May I offer you one word of warning, even the brightest people feel pressure and stress - it would be a shame to burn yourself out due to too heavier workload, keep a beady eye on it. I've seen it happen to people and can be such a waste of potential.

If you have any more questions about Southampton I'll answer them the best I can.

Kind Regards

Barny

1. What is the best educational background for pursuing a career in theoretical physics?

The most common educational background for a career in theoretical physics is a doctoral degree in physics or a related field such as mathematics. However, having a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science through undergraduate studies is also important.

2. How important is research experience in theoretical physics?

Research experience is crucial for a career in theoretical physics. It not only allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the subject but also helps you develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills. It is recommended to participate in research projects as an undergraduate student and continue to do so throughout your career.

3. What skills are necessary for success in theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics requires strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as the ability to think abstractly and creatively. It is also important to have a strong foundation in physics principles and the ability to apply them to complex problems. Additionally, communication and collaboration skills are essential for working in a team and presenting research findings.

4. How can I stand out as a candidate in the field of theoretical physics?

Apart from having a strong educational background and research experience, it is important to show a passion for the subject and a drive for continuous learning. Participating in conferences and publishing research papers can also make you stand out as a candidate. Building a network with experts in the field and seeking mentorship can also be beneficial.

5. What advice do experts have for aspiring theoretical physicists?

Experts recommend starting early and building a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It is also important to develop research skills, seek mentorship, and stay updated with the latest advancements in the field. Persistence, curiosity, and a strong work ethic are also key traits for success in theoretical physics.