The converse and proving whether or not the converse holds

• Thread starter googlymunja32
  • Start date
In summary, the converse of a statement is formed by interchanging the hypothesis and conclusion. It is important to prove whether or not the converse holds to determine the validity of a statement. This can be done through methods such as direct proof, contrapositive proof, contradiction, or counterexample. Direct and contrapositive proofs are used to prove whether or not the converse holds by starting with the hypothesis or negation of the conclusion and using logical steps. A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement and can be used to show that the converse does not hold.
googlymunja32
HallsofIvy said:
So you are asking, "Is it true that np- n is divisible by p for p any prime?"

Yes, it is and for exactly the reason you state: if p is prime then [itex]\left(\begin{array}{c}p \\ i\end{array}\right)[/itex] for p prime and 0< i< p is divisible by p. That itself can be proven directly from the definition:
[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}p \\ i\end{array}\right)= \frac{p!}{i!(p-i)!}[/tex]
as long as i is neither 0 nor p, 0<p-i< p and so neither i! nor (p- i)! have a factor of p. Since p! does, the binomial coefficient is divisible by p. (We need p to be prime so that other factors in i! and (p- i)! do not "combine" to cancel p.)

Now, to show that np- n is divisible by p, do exactly what mathman suggested.

First, when n= 1, 1p- 1= 0 which is divisible by p. Now assume the statement is true for some k: kp- k= mp for some integer m. Then, by the binomial theorem,
[tex](k+1)^p= \sum_{i=0}^p \left(\begin{array}{c}p \\ i\end{array}\right) k^i[/itex]
subtracting k+1 from that does two things: first it cancels the i=0 term which is 1. Also we can combine the "k" with the i= p term which is kp so we have kp- k= mp. The other terms, all with 0< i< p, contain, as above, factors of p.

What would be the converse of this conjecture, How can you prove whether or not the converse holds?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The converse of "If A then B" is "If B then A" so the converse of "If p is prime then np- n is divisible by p (for all n)" is "If np- n is divisible by p (for all n) then p is prime". I haven't looked at that in depth but I think you should try "indirect proof": if p is not prime, say p= ij for some integers i and j, can you find find an n so that np is not divisible by p?

What is the converse of a statement?

The converse of a statement is the statement formed by interchanging the hypothesis and conclusion. For example, the converse of the statement "If it is raining, then the ground is wet" would be "If the ground is wet, then it is raining."

Why is it important to prove whether or not the converse holds?

Proving whether or not the converse holds is important because it helps to determine the validity of a statement. If the converse holds, then the original statement is true. If the converse does not hold, then the original statement is false.

How do you prove whether or not the converse holds?

To prove whether or not the converse holds, you can use a variety of methods including direct proof, contrapositive proof, contradiction, or counterexample. These methods involve logically analyzing the statement and its converse to determine their validity.

What is the difference between direct proof and contrapositive proof?

In a direct proof, you start with the hypothesis and use logical steps to arrive at the conclusion. In a contrapositive proof, you start with the negation of the conclusion and use logical steps to arrive at the negation of the hypothesis. Both methods are used to prove whether or not the converse holds.

What is a counterexample and how does it apply to proving the converse?

A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement. In the context of proving the converse, a counterexample can be used to show that the converse does not hold. If a counterexample can be found, then the original statement is false and the converse does not hold.