Solve Basic Trigonometry Homework: m^2+n^2=cosec^2θ

In summary: Similarly for the second equation. As for the third equation, you are given that [itex]m^2+ n^2= cosec^2(\theta)[/itex]. Since cosec(\theta)= 1/sin(\theta), that's the same as saying that [itex]m^2+ n^2= 1/sin^2(\theta)[/itex]. Use the fact that [itex]sin^2(\theta)= 1- cos^2(\theta)[/itex] to replace [itex]1/sin^2(\theta)[/itex] by [itex](1- cos^2(\theta))^{-1}[/
ritwik06

Homework Statement

If [tex]m^{2}+m' ^{2}+2mm' cos \theta=1[/tex]

[tex]n^{2}+n' ^{2}+2nn' cos \theta=1[/tex]

[tex]mn+m'n'+(mn'+m'n)cos \theta =0[/tex],
then prove that [tex]m^{2}+n^{2}=cosec^{2} \theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tri a lot but its difficult to eliminate m' or n'

If I add the first to equations and separate m^2+n^2 to left ide, again its difficult to prov the RHS to [tex]cosec ^{2} \theta[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
draw the triangle!

ritwik06 said:
If [tex]m^{2}+m' ^{2}+2mm' cos \theta=1[/tex]

[tex]n^{2}+n' ^{2}+2nn' cos \theta=1[/tex]

[tex]mn+m'n'+(mn'+m'n)cos \theta =0[/tex],
then prove that [tex]m^{2}+n^{2}=cosec^{2} \theta[/tex]

Hi ritwik06! :smile:

Well, looking at the the first two equations, you're obviously supposed to draw a triangle with sides m and m', and an angle of π - θ between them. :wink:

Give the name φ to the angle opposite m (so the angle opposite m' is … ?).

Then do the same with n n ' and ψ.

And then use the sine rule … :smile:

Last edited:

tiny-tim said:
Hi ritwik06! :smile:

Well, looking at the the first two equations, you're obviously supposed to draw a triangle with sides m and m', and an angle of π - θ between them. :wink:

Give the name φ to the angle opposite m (so the angle opposite m' is … ?).

Then do the same with n n ' and ψ.

And then use the sine rule … :smile:

Hi tim :smile:

Well I am not familiar with this. though I have used sine rule in physics. Please tell me why am I expected to make a triangle ?? and what shall I do with this thing? Simply applying:

sin a /a=sin b/ b =sin c /c won't solve my purpose, i have tried it. :wink:
regards

cosine rule for triangles …

ritwik06 said:
Please tell me why am I expected to make a triangle ??

ah … perhaps you haven't done the cosine rule for triangles …

a2 = b2 + c2 - 2bc cosA​

so the reason to make this particular triangle is because the first two equations given are the cosine rule for two triangles, both with one side of length a = 1, and both with opposite angle π - θ, one with the other sides of length m and m', and the other n and n'.

(check for yourself that the cosine rule really does give those two equations for those triangles)

Draw those triangles, and apply the sine rule to get m and m' in terms of θ and φ, and n and n' in terms of θ and ψ.

Then plug those values into the third given equation, which should give you a nice relationship between θ φ and ψ. :smile:

ritwik06 said:
Hi tim :smile:

Well I am not familiar with this. though I have used sine rule in physics. Please tell me why am I expected to make a triangle ?? and what shall I do with this thing? Simply applying:

sin a /a=sin b/ b =sin c /c won't solve my purpose, i have tried it. :wink:
regards
Because the cosine law says that if a triangle has sides of length a, b, c and A is the angle opposite side A, then c2= a2+ b2- 2ab cos(A).

The equation [itex]m^2+ m'^2+ 2mm'cos(\theta)= 1[/quote] differs from that only only in having "+" instead of "-". Since [itex]cos(\pi- \theta)= -cos(\theta[/itex]), that should make you think of a triangle having sides of length m, m', and 1 and having angle [itex]\pi- \theta[/itex] opposite the side of length 1.

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and the relationships between their sides and angles. It is used to solve problems involving triangles, such as finding missing side lengths or angles.

What is m^2+n^2=cosec^2θ

This is the Pythagorean identity in trigonometry. It states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (c) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides (a and b). In this equation, m and n represent the lengths of sides a and b, and cosecθ represents the length of the hypotenuse c.

How do I solve basic trigonometry homework?

To solve basic trigonometry problems, you will need to have a good understanding of the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cosecant, secant, and cotangent) and their properties. You will also need to know how to use the Pythagorean identity and the trigonometric ratios to find missing side lengths or angles in a triangle.

What is the unit circle and how does it relate to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to represent the values of the trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine of the angle, and the y-coordinate represents the sine of the angle.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many real-world applications, such as in architecture, engineering, navigation, and physics. It is used to calculate the heights and distances of objects, determine angles of elevation and depression, and solve problems involving right triangles in various fields.