Point charge attractioning a positive charge from infinity to 30cm

In summary, the problem involves finding the work required to bring a positive charge of 4.0 * 10^-9 C from infinity to a location x = 30.0 cm away from a point charge of 2.0 * 10^-9 C located at the origin. This can be solved using the equation W = -q2(delta V), where delta V is the potential difference between the two charges. Plugging in the values given, the final expression for the work done is W = -(8.99 * 10^9 N*m^2/C^2)(4.0 * 10^-9 C)(2.0 * 10^-9 C)/(0.30 m). This results in a
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

A point charge of 2.0 10-9 C is located at the origin. How much work is required to bring a positive charge of 4.0 10-9 C from infinity to the location x = 30.0 cm?

and it requests the answer in J

Homework Equations

W=-q2(delta)V

DeltaV = Ke q1/d

where delta v is potential difference, W is work, q2 and q1 are the charges, Ke is coulombs constant, and d is distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in all of the variables using 4.0 *10 ^ -9 as my q1 and 2.0*10^-9 as my q2 and that was wrong so i switched them.. again wrong..

Physics news on Phys.org
Switching q1 and q2 won't change anything. Show your final expression for the work done and the numbers you plugged in. Is it positive or negative?

I would first clarify the problem by asking for the units of the given charges and the distance. Assuming that the charges are given in coulombs (C) and the distance is given in meters (m), I would then proceed with solving the problem using the equations provided.

First, I would calculate the potential difference (deltaV) between the two charges using the equation deltaV = (Ke*q1)/d. Plugging in the values, I get deltaV = (8.99*10^9 N*m^2/C^2)*(4.0*10^-9 C)/0.30 m = 1.198*10^5 V.

Next, I would use the equation W = -q2*deltaV to calculate the work required to bring the positive charge from infinity to x = 30.0 cm. Plugging in the values, I get W = -(2.0*10^-9 C)*(1.198*10^5 V) = -2.396*10^-4 J.

Therefore, the work required to bring the positive charge from infinity to x = 30.0 cm is 2.396*10^-4 J.

1. What is a point charge attraction?

A point charge attraction is a phenomenon in which a positively charged particle is pulled towards a negatively charged particle due to the electrostatic force between them.

2. How does a point charge attract a positive charge from infinity to 30cm?

A point charge attracts a positive charge from infinity to 30cm by exerting an electrostatic force on the positive charge. This force decreases as the distance between the two charges increases, eventually reaching zero at a distance of 30cm.

3. What is the electrostatic force between a point charge and a positive charge?

The electrostatic force between a point charge and a positive charge is given by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. Is the electrostatic force attractive or repulsive in the scenario of a point charge attracting a positive charge?

In this scenario, the electrostatic force is attractive. This is because the two charges have opposite signs, resulting in a force that pulls the positive charge towards the negative charge.

5. What is the significance of the distance of 30cm in the scenario of a point charge attracting a positive charge?

The distance of 30cm represents the point at which the electrostatic force between the two charges becomes negligible. This means that the positive charge will experience a negligible change in its motion once it reaches this distance from the point charge.