Space station artificial gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations needed to create artificial gravity in a rotating barrel in space. The suggested diameter for a space station to achieve Earth-like gravity is 224m with an angular speed of 2 rev/min. The attempt at a solution includes calculations for tangential velocity, centrifugal force, acceleration, and centripetal force. There are questions about the accuracy of the calculations, the effect of jumping in the rotating barrel, and the inclusion of the barrel's weight in the calculations. The conversation also mentions the need for a force acting outward to create artificial gravity and suggests consulting a teacher for verification of the calculations.
LovePhysics
This is not actually homework, I'm just trying to calculate the speeds/forces needed to create 9,81 m/s2 artificial gravity (outward) within a rotating barrel in space.

Homework Statement

I read on the internet that a space station would require a diameter of 224m and an angular speed of 2 rev/min = 0,21 RAD/s to create an equal to Earth gravity. According to my calculations I think one would need exactly double that, so a radius of 224m. I've assumed a man weighing 70kg is standing in the space station and I want to calculate the acceleration he feels (to see if its equal to 9,81m/s2)

Homework Equations

Tangential velocity Vt=r•ω
Centrifugal force F= ω2•r•m
Centrifugal acceleration a = F/m
Centripetal force F=m•(v2/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

Vt=r•ω=224•0,21=47 m/s
Centrifugal force F= ω2•r•m=0,212•224•70=691,5 N
a=F/m=691,5/70=9,88 m/s2
Centripetal force F=m•(v2/r)=70•(472/224)=690,3 N

1. Are my calculations correct?
2. The centrifugal force is (almost) equal to the centripetal force, does this mean he will stay in place even if he's upside down in the barrel (meaning the artificial gravity works)? 'he is in balance'.
3. What happens if he jumps? Will he have a new 'balance location' in the barrel space since the forces are in balance or will he return to the wall of the barrel (the way gravity works)?
4. In the calculations I didn't take the weight of barrel itself into consideration, is it relevant to do so and if so, how do I go about adding that?
5. Also, how do I go about calculating the power of the engine needed to turn this thing around at 2 rev/min with X amount of total weight, I assume the thing must be crazy powerful.
6. Also, are there any other relevant velocities/accelerations/forces I could calculate?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. What you need to do is create a force acting outward against the occupant of the barrel equal to 9.8 m/s2. The speed you need to spin an object at is dependent on the radius or diameter you choose for the object. No diameter or radius is the right or wrong one, you have to match your speed to your radius. I'm not going to solve your "not really homework" question. If you want verification of your calculations ask your teacher.

1. How does artificial gravity work on a space station?

Artificial gravity on a space station is achieved through centripetal force, which is the force that pulls objects towards the center of a circular motion. By rotating the space station, the centrifugal force created mimics the effects of gravity.

2. Can artificial gravity be created on any type of space station?

Yes, artificial gravity can be created on any type of space station as long as it has a rotating component. However, the size, shape, and rotation speed of the station may affect the strength and direction of the artificial gravity.

3. How strong is the artificial gravity on a space station?

The strength of artificial gravity on a space station depends on the size and rotation speed of the station. For example, a larger station with a faster rotation will have a stronger artificial gravity compared to a smaller station with a slower rotation.

4. What are the potential benefits of artificial gravity on a space station?

Artificial gravity on a space station can help reduce the negative effects of microgravity on the human body, such as bone loss and muscle atrophy. It can also make daily tasks, such as eating and exercising, easier for astronauts.

5. Are there any challenges to creating and maintaining artificial gravity on a space station?

One of the main challenges of creating artificial gravity on a space station is the engineering and technological complexities involved. Maintaining the rotation and stability of the station also requires constant energy and resources. Additionally, long-term exposure to artificial gravity may have unknown effects on the human body.