Determining Volume Strength of Hydrogen Peroxide Solution

In summary: In this experiment, the volume of hydrogen peroxide solution was 10ml and the volume of oxygen gas liberated was 10.6ml. This means that the volume strength is 10.6/10ml = 1.06.
clarewillow
Determintion of the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided...

Homework Statement

Hi, I have to dertermine the volume strength of the solution of hydrogen peroxide provided. NOTE the volume strength as I'm not quite sure how to get this!

I had to dilute 10ml, accurately measured, of the hydrogen peroxide to 100ml with distilled water using a volumetric flask. To 10ml of the dilution, 20ml bench sulphuric acid was added and then titrated with 0.02M potassium permanganate solution.

My results where: Titration 1 : 10.6ml
Titration 2 : 10.5ml

The equation for the reaction is :

2KMnO4 + 3H2SO4 + 5H2O2 ====> K2SO4 + 2MnSO4 + 8H20 + 5O2

The molecular mass of hydrogen peroxide is 34.016

I really am stuck. I have been trying to work it out from 2 this afternoon, and now i can't even see straight :frown: If anyone can please guide me through i would be extremely grateful.

Thank you in advance :smile:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Please try to be more specific, as it is not clear what is your problem. Do you know how to calculate number of moles of hydrogen peroxide in your sample? Do you know what is the definition of "volume strength"?

Hi, yes i pretty much need to know how to work out the molarity. And then i do believe i need to work out how to convert this to volume strength. Thanks for your time x

You still didn't answer Borek's question. Do you know how to calculate moles of hydrogen peroxide in the sample you titrated?

Hint: for every 2 moles of permanganate, you neutralize 5 moles of hydrogen peroxide.

knowing that the mole ratio is 2:5 doesn't change anything the real question here is what is volume strength
i think volume strenght is = factor x titre x nominal x gas present.

ghosty said:
volume strenght is = factor x titre x nominal x gas present.

I am doing my best to understand what you mean and I fail. What is "gas present", what is "factor" - as long as you don't define terms used, your definition is useless.

Volume strength is the ratio of the volume of oxygen gas liberated to the volume of H2O2 solution used.

1. How is the volume strength of hydrogen peroxide solution determined?

The volume strength of hydrogen peroxide solution is determined by titration, a process that involves adding a known volume of a standard solution (such as potassium permanganate) to a measured volume of the hydrogen peroxide solution until a color change occurs. The amount of standard solution used can then be used to calculate the volume strength of the hydrogen peroxide solution.

2. What is the purpose of determining the volume strength of hydrogen peroxide solution?

Determining the volume strength of hydrogen peroxide solution is important for many reasons. It allows us to accurately measure the concentration of hydrogen peroxide, which is a key factor in its effectiveness as a disinfectant or bleaching agent. It also helps ensure safety, as the correct concentration is necessary for proper handling and use of the solution.

3. How is the accuracy of the volume strength determination ensured?

The accuracy of the volume strength determination is ensured by using precise measuring equipment and following standard laboratory procedures. It is also important to properly calibrate and standardize the solutions used in the titration process.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the volume strength determination?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the volume strength determination. These include human error, improper calibration of equipment, contamination of solutions, and variations in the purity of the hydrogen peroxide solution.

5. Can the volume strength of hydrogen peroxide solution change over time?

Yes, the volume strength of hydrogen peroxide solution can change over time. This can be due to factors such as exposure to light, heat, or air, which can cause the solution to decompose and lose its effectiveness. It is important to properly store and handle hydrogen peroxide solution to maintain its volume strength.