B Field in Semicircle Conductor

In summary, the problem involves a semicircular conductor shell extending to infinity with a radius of A and carrying a current of X. The question is to find the B-field (magnetic flux density) at the center of the conductor. The suggested approach is to use the formula for B-field due to a long wire and integrate over the shell to find the total B-field. However, there is uncertainty in how to express the differential current (dI) in the integral. Some progress has been made, but the final integral yields 0. Assistance is requested to solve the problem.
Telcron

Homework Statement

Basically there is conductor shell which is in the shape of a semicircle. It extends to infinity. (Think of this as like half of a cylindrical conductor shell). The radius of this shell is A, and it carries a total current of X. The shell extends infinitely into the page. What is B-Field (Magnetic Flux Density) at the center of this conductor? I attached image for clarity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that this problem should be easy to solve. Basically I find the B field due to a long wire of some current, and then change this to make it dB which I would integrate from 0 to pi to find the total B - Field as the superposition of all of the dB elements. Does this sound like the right approach? I know that the field due to a wire is ([tex]\mu[/tex]* I)/(2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*r) where r is the distance from the wire. For dB, this should be ([tex]\mu[/tex]* dI)/(2*[tex]\pi[/tex]*r). I am not quite sure how to set up this integral as I am not quite sure on how to express dI. Any suggestions?

Sorry for my bad English I do not speak it natively.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 404
Physics news on Phys.org
Also I am sorry I am not good at the text formatting for the equation. The mu and the pi should not be superscript.

So I think I have made progress. I have dB = ([tex]mu[/tex]dI) / (2[tex]pi[/tex]A) and I have dI as Id[tex]phi[/tex]/[tex]pi[/tex]. The B-Field from each dB is in the [tex]\phi[/tex] directions, and as you integrate dB from 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex] to get the whole B-Field the final field will point to the left because everything else will cancel out. The problem is when I take this integral I get 0. Any help? Please.

What is the B Field in a Semicircle Conductor?

The B Field, also known as the magnetic field, is a vector quantity that represents the strength and direction of the magnetic force within a semicircle conductor. It is measured in units of Tesla (T).

How is the B Field Calculated in a Semicircle Conductor?

The B Field in a semicircle conductor can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2R, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the conductor, and R is the radius of the semicircle.

What is the Direction of the B Field in a Semicircle Conductor?

The direction of the B Field in a semicircle conductor is perpendicular to the plane of the conductor and follows the right-hand rule. This means that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the B Field.

How Does the B Field Change with Current and Radius?

The B Field in a semicircle conductor is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor and inversely proportional to the radius of the semicircle. This means that as the current increases, the B Field will also increase, and as the radius increases, the B Field will decrease.

What are the Applications of the B Field in Semicircle Conductors?

The B Field in semicircle conductors has various applications, including in the design of electromagnets, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI machines and in particle accelerators used in scientific research.