Create plane from 3 points and distance from plane to point

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of a plane passing through three given points and calculating the distance from a fourth point to that plane. The method discussed involves finding the normal vector to the plane using the cross product, converting it to unit length, and using the plane equation and dot product to find the distance. There is also a discussion about normalizing a vector.
Mar10n
I have some trouble getting this small problem right

I want to make a plane from these three points:
5.004.218 993.185 9.591

5.005.202 993.397 12.622

5.006.043 993.715 10.325

I have made two vectors from these points
1-2
984 212 3.031

1-3
1.825 530 734

and then calculated the normal vector to these two vectors

n
-1450822 4809319 134620

and from this I have tried to get the equation to the plane which the three lays onto

plane
-1450822 4809319 134620 -2,48239E+12

I want to calculate the distance from the plane to a fourth point

5.020.399 933.806 9.908

I have the made this

7,28371E+12 4,49097E+12 1333814960 2,48239E+12

and this to get the distance

(7,28371E+12 + 4,49097E+12 + 4,49097E+12 + 2,48239E+12)/ sqroot(-1450822^2 + 4809319^2 + 134620^2) = 2837385,029

Can someone please have a look at my calculations so far, and tell me what I have done wrong? (I know the answer is wrong...)

I have made it in a excel spreadsheet if someone would look at it

Attachments

• Coordinates.xls
    10.5 KB · Views: 345
Mathematics news on Phys.org
not sure if this is how you are supposed to do it, but if you take the circle that intercepts all three points, and then expand the radius to oo, and that will define a plane, albeit in a different way that normal.

I guess I could do it that way, but I don't think it makes it any easier to calculate the distance from the circle to the fourth point?

That seems like it would make things very complicated.

To solve something like this, you have your three points x, y, z. Take the vectors x-y and x-z and find a vector mutually perpendicular to both with the cross product: n = (x-y) X (x-z) This is my vector normal to x-y and x-z:n=-1450822i 4809319j 134620k. This is the normal to your plane. It helps to have it of unit length, so take n' = n / |n| Sorry, I don't understand this part what is n / |n| ?.

All points on your plane satisfy the plane equation. That is if p0 is a point on your plane, a point p is also on your plane if and only if

p0 * n' = p * n

Where * is the dot product.

Take any point w. From w, the shortest path to the point is the straight line passing through w parallel to the normal. This line is given by {w + a n' | for all a}. To find the closest point on the plane, you must simply find for which value of a w + a n' is on the plane. That means we use the plane equation: (w + a n') * n' = p0 * n'. Solve for a.

What is the distance from w to the plane? After you've found a, it's simply |w - w + a n'| = |a n'|, and since n' has unit length, the distance reduces to |a|.

Now you just need to plug & chug!

EDIT: I'm a little bit retarded I think. I edited this post instead of quoting it!

Last edited:
My comments is in red
Tac-Tics said:
That seems like it would make things very complicated.

To solve something like this, you have your three points x, y, z. Take the vectors x-y and x-z and find a vector mutually perpendicular to both with the cross product: n = (x-y) X (x-z) This is my vector normal to x-y and x-z:n=-1450822i 4809319j 134620k. This is the normal to your plane. It helps to have it of unit length, so take n' = n / |n| Sorry, I don't understand this part :blushing: what is n / |n| ?.

All points on your plane satisfy the plane equation. That is if p0 is a point on your plane, a point p is also on your plane if and only if

p0 * n' = p * n

Where * is the dot product.

Take any point w. From w, the shortest path to the point is the straight line passing through w parallel to the normal. This line is given by {w + a n' | for all a}. To find the closest point on the plane, you must simply find for which value of a w + a n' is on the plane. That means we use the plane equation: (w + a n') * n' = p0 * n'. Solve for a.

What is the distance from w to the plane? After you've found a, it's simply |w - w + a n'| = |a n'|, and since n' has unit length, the distance reduces to |a|.

Now you just need to plug & chug!

soandos said:
To solve something like this, you have your three points x, y, z. Take the vectors x-y and x-z and find a vector mutually perpendicular to both with the cross product: n = (x-y) X (x-z). This is my vector normal to x-y and x-z:n=-1450822i 4809319j 134620k

Yeah. It looked like you did it correctly up to this point. Whether or not the numbers are right, I don't know =-)
This is the normal to your plane. It helps to have it of unit length, so take n' = n / |n|.
Sorry, I don't understand this part what is n / |n| ?

Sorry about that. |n| would be the length of a vector n. So n / |n| would be the vector in the same direction as n, but with unit length. Converting a vector to unit length is somewhat confusingly called "normalizing" it. It's like the "normal" in "orthonormal" and completely different from the "normal" in "normal to a plane"!

1. How do you create a plane from 3 points?

To create a plane from 3 points, you will need to use the formula for finding the equation of a plane in 3D space. This formula is (x-x1)a + (y-y1)b + (z-z1)c = 0, where (x1, y1, z1) are the coordinates of one of the points and (a, b, c) are the direction numbers of the plane. You will need to plug in the coordinates of the three points into this formula and solve for a, b, and c in order to determine the equation of the plane.

2. What is the distance from a plane to a point?

The distance from a plane to a point is the shortest distance between the point and any point on the plane. This distance can be found by using the formula for the distance between a point and a plane: d = |ax0 + by0 + cz0 + d| / √(a2 + b2 + c2), where (x0, y0, z0) is the coordinates of the point and (a, b, c) are the direction numbers of the plane.

3. Can a plane be created from 3 collinear points?

No, a plane cannot be created from 3 collinear points. In order to create a plane, the 3 points must be non-collinear, meaning they cannot all lie on the same line. If the points are collinear, it is not possible to determine the direction numbers of the plane.

4. How many planes can be created from 3 non-collinear points?

Only one plane can be created from 3 non-collinear points. This is because any three non-collinear points will determine a unique plane in 3D space. If more than one plane is created, it means at least one of the points is collinear with the other two, which is not possible.

5. What is the equation of a plane in 3D space?

The equation of a plane in 3D space is in the form of ax + by + cz + d = 0, where (a, b, c) are the direction numbers of the plane and d is a constant. This equation represents all the points (x, y, z) that lie on the plane. To find the direction numbers, you can use the formula mentioned in question 1 or use the coordinates of 3 points on the plane to solve for them.