Can Hydrophobic Surfaces Repel Both Water and Oil?

In summary, the article discusses hydrophobic surfaces and how they repel water. However, if these surfaces become contaminated with oil, they lose their ability to repel water. This is due to the change in geometry caused by the presence of oil. Work boots, on the other hand, are not geometrically hydrophobic and therefore require the addition of oil to make water less sticky. However, with ongoing research, it may soon be possible to have inherently hydrophobic materials, such as work boots or jackets, without the need for chemical treatments.
psyklon
Hello, I have a quick question regarding an http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/38466/title/Blueprint_to_repel_oil_and_water" that I just read on ScienceNews regarding hydrophobic surfaces.

In the second to last paragraph it's quoted that "although hydrophobic surfaces readily shed water, if they become contaminated with oily substances they lose their water repellency." The confusion I have (and I'm assuming that I'm wrongly inferring from the article) is that I regularly oil my work boots to ensure that they maintain their water repellency. So how does that make sense when oil-contamined surfaces lose their ability to repel water? :uhh:

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The article was probably talking about geometrically hydrophobic surfaces, which repel water because of their shape. The presence of oil changes the geometry, and the property is lost.

Workboots are not geometrically hydrophobic (yet), so you add oil to give the water less traction. This is an entirely different phenominon. With the newest research being done, however, it may not be long before you can buy a pair of workboots or a jacket or swimtrunks that will be hydrophobic or even superhydrophobic by nature; an inherent property of the fabric and not something that needs to be chemically added.

Thanks, LURCH. That definitely cleared up the issue for me. :biggrin:

What is the difference between oil and hydrophobic surfaces?

Oil is a substance that consists of hydrocarbons, while hydrophobic surfaces are materials that repel water. Oil is a type of hydrophobic substance, but not all hydrophobic surfaces are oil.

Why are hydrophobic surfaces important?

Hydrophobic surfaces have many practical applications, such as preventing water damage, creating non-stick surfaces, and reducing friction. They are also commonly used in industries such as healthcare, automotive, and construction.

How do hydrophobic surfaces repel water?

Hydrophobic surfaces have a low surface energy, which means they have a weak attraction to water molecules. This causes the water droplets to form a spherical shape and roll off the surface instead of spreading out and wetting it.

Can oil and hydrophobic surfaces be used to clean up oil spills?

Yes, hydrophobic surfaces and substances like oil can be used to clean up oil spills. This is because oil and hydrophobic materials have a strong attraction to each other, allowing them to bind together and remove the oil from the water.

What are some examples of hydrophobic surfaces in nature?

Some examples of hydrophobic surfaces in nature include the lotus leaf, which has a waxy coating that repels water, and feathers of water birds, which are coated in oil to repel water and keep the birds dry.

Back