Quantum Gravity in Relation to Gravitational Waves

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Gravitational Waves and their potential connection to Quantum Theory of Gravity. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to relate the two theories and has tried researching but has found no concrete information. The conversation also mentions some possible sources to explore further, but the speaker is unsure if they are relevant. Overall, the discussion highlights the complexity and ongoing research in this area of physics.
Ignoramus
As I am fairly new here (been a lurker for a long while), I was not quite sure where to post this topic as it has Relativistic and Quantum Mechanical basis. Apologies if this is the incorrect place.

It's not a homework question in any sense, but I'm doing a project for my Advanced Science Topics class at school on Gravitational Waves/ GW mechanics/ GW implications. After showing it to my teacher, he suggested I add in how Gravitational Waves can help pursue a Quantum Theory of Gravity. I have tried doing some research, but to no avail (except for finding little wiki bits saying dumb things such as "if gravitational waves are found to travel slower than the speed of light, then it can be inferred that gravitons have mass"). I was wondering if anybody could give me some glimpse of an idea how to relate the two, since I do not know where to look, or what to think.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
After showing it to my teacher, he suggested I add in how Gravitational Waves can help pursue a Quantum Theory of Gravity.

Go back and ask what that means...that you find no connection! Post what he/she suggests here...especially if you are in High School his advice is a TALL,TALL order!

Gravitational waves have not yet been observed: Riddle of Gravitation, Peter Bergmann
Wiki says they have been indirectly observed. LIGO is trying..

Have you read wikipedia, Loop Quantum Gravity? It discusses a number of possible theoretical relationships between quantum theory and relativity...and I saw nothing there to help you. LQG is relativity based.

I've read roughly a dozen books that in part discuss both theories, by Smolin,Kaku,Greene, others and I can't think of anything they mentioned...Greene mentions Einstein recognized the likelihood of gravitational waves bewteen 1916 and 1918...hardly a recent insight!

The only connection I know is that relativity is background independent, meaning spacetime is dynamic and not rigid,not fixed, so direct evidence gravitational waves would further strengthen that concept. Hence Loop quantum gravity which is also mathematically background independent would potentially gain credence; however all this has been known for years so it's of little significance as far as I can tell.

Maybe your teacher is thinking of these crackpots:

On the interaction of mesoscopic quantum systems with gravity
Claus Kiefer, Carsten Weber
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0408010

The Interface between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity
Raymond Y. Chiao
http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0601193

Edit: There are lots of crackpots out there - some even have Nobel Prizes in Physics. So beware!

Last edited:

1. How does quantum gravity relate to gravitational waves?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to unify the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. Gravitational waves are ripples in spacetime that are predicted by general relativity. So, quantum gravity is expected to provide a more complete understanding of gravitational waves by incorporating the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. Can quantum gravity explain the existence of gravitational waves?

Quantum gravity is still a developing theory and there is no definitive answer as to whether it can fully explain the existence of gravitational waves. However, it is believed that incorporating quantum principles into our understanding of gravity may help to resolve some of the current limitations of general relativity in explaining gravitational wave phenomena.

3. How are gravitational waves detected in relation to quantum gravity?

Gravitational waves are detected through their effects on matter and light. Quantum gravity theories predict that these effects may be more pronounced at the quantum level, meaning that quantum gravity could potentially help to detect and measure gravitational waves in more precise ways.

4. Are there any experimental results that support the relationship between quantum gravity and gravitational waves?

At this point, there are no definitive experimental results that directly support the relationship between quantum gravity and gravitational waves. However, ongoing research and experiments in both fields are helping to further our understanding of this relationship and may lead to future discoveries.

5. How could understanding quantum gravity impact our knowledge and use of gravitational waves?

If quantum gravity is successfully developed and validated, it could have a significant impact on our understanding and use of gravitational waves. It may help to explain the origin and behavior of these waves, as well as open up new possibilities for their detection and utilization in areas such as astronomy and cosmology.