Using DC-AC inverters in parallel

• Thread starter misslexi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Parallel
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using multiple DC-AC inverters in parallel to increase AC power output. However, this would require precise voltage and phase matching, and may result in high voltage spikes and current. The mention of Honda's special cable for connecting two generators highlights the complexity of this approach and it is ultimately recommended to avoid attempting it.
misslexi
I was wondering if it's possible to use two or more-off-the shelf DC-AC inverters in parallel in order to provide more AC power?

It occurred to me that unless they were in phase, problems could result.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would have to lock them together in phase and have quite close voltage matching.

That's what I thought Pumblechook, sounds like I'd have to have knowledge of, and access to, the circuit in order to lock phase.

What made me even think about it is Honda offers a feature on their EU series generators that allow two of them to be connected together with a special cable to provide double the power.

I would recommend to forget it. High voltage output and maybe much higher volatge spikes and high current DC input..

misslexi said:
What made me even think about it is Honda offers a feature on their EU series generators that allow two of them to be connected together with a special cable to provide double the power.

As you point out in answering your own question, it can be done, but requires specially-designed generators, and a special communicaion connection between them.

1. What is the purpose of using DC-AC inverters in parallel?

The purpose of using DC-AC inverters in parallel is to increase the output power and provide redundancy in case one inverter fails. By connecting multiple inverters in parallel, the total power output can be increased, making it suitable for larger loads.

2. How do DC-AC inverters in parallel work?

In a parallel configuration, each inverter is connected to the same DC power source and AC load. The inverters work together to convert the DC power into AC power, which is then combined to provide a larger output. If one inverter fails, the others will continue to supply power to the load.

3. What are the benefits of using DC-AC inverters in parallel?

There are several benefits to using DC-AC inverters in parallel. These include increased power output, better efficiency, and improved reliability. In case of a failure of one inverter, the others can continue to supply power, ensuring uninterrupted operation.

4. Are there any limitations to using DC-AC inverters in parallel?

Yes, there are some limitations to using DC-AC inverters in parallel. It is important to ensure that all the inverters are of the same type, brand, and model to prevent compatibility issues. Additionally, the DC power source must be able to supply enough power to meet the combined load of all the inverters.

5. How should I properly set up and maintain DC-AC inverters in parallel?

To properly set up and maintain DC-AC inverters in parallel, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and guidelines. This includes properly sizing the DC power source, using the same type of inverters, and ensuring proper ventilation and cooling. Regular maintenance, such as checking for loose connections and cleaning the inverters, can also help ensure optimal performance.