What Are the Best Advanced Science and Engineering Series Like Bill Nye?

• Thread starter boka33
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Videos
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good science/engineering series that explores a broad range of topics, specifically for undergraduate/graduate students. Suggestions are made for various videos and online resources, such as "Falling Bodies," "Walter Lewin's Physics Lectures," and "Science Friday." The conversation also clarifies that the person asking is not a teacher, but an undergraduate mechanical engineering student.
boka33
Does anyone know of a good science/engineering series, exploring a broad range of topics.

Essentially I'm searching for Bill Nye for undergraduate/graduate students.

Physics news on Phys.org
boka33 said:
Does anyone know of a good science/engineering series, exploring a broad range of topics.

I don't know if this qualifies, but I have a video that your students may enjoy and learn from. It's called "Falling Bodies" and depicts Aristotle and Galileo trying to figure out why things fall. It's done in play form with a comedic twist. There is an accompanying experiment that recreates Galileo's experiment to prove that all objects fall at the same rate. PM me if you are interested. The video is free and part of an outreach program. While originally intended for middle school kids, it has seen more success at the high school and college levels.

boka33 said:

I enjoy watching
http://web.mit.edu/physics/people/faculty/lewin_walter.html
..especially the demonstrations.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition, these folks might be of interest... (although they aren't on TV):

Paul G Hewitt
http://www.conceptualphysics.com/pghewitt.shtml

Clint Sprott
http://sprott.physics.wisc.edu/wop.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies.

I should note, to clear up confusion, I am not actually a teacher! Just an undergrad mechanical engineering student.

Try also my site (I'm a teacher): a collection of YouTube videos selected for their educational value. Walter Lewin lessons and demostrations are also present.

http://physics.andreadecapoa.net

1. What is the purpose of "Eng/Phys educational videos"?

The purpose of "Eng/Phys educational videos" is to provide educational content related to engineering and physics, typically through visual and interactive media. These videos aim to make complex scientific concepts more accessible and engaging for learners.

2. Who creates "Eng/Phys educational videos"?

"Eng/Phys educational videos" are created by a variety of individuals and organizations, including scientists, educators, and media producers. They may be created by individuals or teams with expertise in engineering and physics, and may be funded by educational institutions, government agencies, or private companies.

3. What topics are covered in "Eng/Phys educational videos"?

"Eng/Phys educational videos" cover a wide range of topics within the fields of engineering and physics. Some common topics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electrical circuits, and materials science. These videos may also cover specific applications of these concepts, such as renewable energy or robotics.

4. Are "Eng/Phys educational videos" suitable for all ages and levels of education?

While some "Eng/Phys educational videos" may be geared towards a specific age group or educational level, many are designed to be accessible to a wide range of audiences. The level of complexity and technical detail may vary, so it is important to choose videos that align with your current knowledge and understanding.

5. How can "Eng/Phys educational videos" be used in the classroom or for self-study?

"Eng/Phys educational videos" can be used in a variety of ways for both classroom instruction and self-study. They can serve as a supplement to traditional lectures or textbooks, providing visual demonstrations and explanations of key concepts. They can also be used as a review or study tool for learners to reinforce their understanding of a topic. Additionally, many educational videos offer interactive elements or accompanying worksheets for hands-on learning experiences.