Solving Non-Linear Differential Equations for Free Fall Due to Gravity

In summary, solving non-linear differential equations for free fall due to gravity involves using mathematical methods to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object in motion. This can be done by setting up and solving the differential equations that describe the relationship between these variables, taking into account the effects of gravity and air resistance. Techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, and numerical methods can be used to find solutions to these equations and accurately predict the motion of an object in free fall.
Pete69

Homework Statement

I was given a problem to solve for the speed of a body falling under gravity [equation (1)] where g is acceleration due to gravity, which was easy enough.. but then i thought i would extend it to the case where g is non-constant, and so arrived at equation (2), (where where z is the height above Earth [z'=dz/dt and z=dv/dt and z^-2 means z to power -2], and M is the mass of the Earth and G is the gravitational constant)

Homework Equations

(1) : dv/dt = - g - kv

(2) : z'' + kz' + GMz^-2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe this is a non-linear second order DE?? i attempted to solve by setting

z'' + kz' = 0

and solving the complimentary equation, which was OK, but when i came to solve for the particular integral

z'' + kz' = -GMz^-2

i ran into problems, as after substituting in the D and Q operators (http://silmaril.math.sci.qut.edu.au/~gustafso/mab112/topic12/ ), i could not use the First Shift Theorem, as the RHS is not in an exponential form...

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Pete69 said:
I believe this is a non-linear second order DE?? i attempted to solve by setting

Yes, but rather than get into that let's look at your first order equation for [itex]v[/itex].

Do the following.

1.) Show that [itex]\frac{dv}{dt}=v\frac{dv}{dz}[/itex].
2.) Insert [itex]g=\frac{GM}{z^2}[/itex] into the equation.
3.) Find an integrating factor that makes this equation exact (it can be done).
4.) Solve.

Pete69 said:

Homework Statement

I was given a problem to solve for the speed of a body falling under gravity [equation (1)] where g is acceleration due to gravity, which was easy enough.. but then i thought i would extend it to the case where g is non-constant, and so arrived at equation (2), (where where z is the height above Earth [z'=dz/dt and z=dv/dt and z^-2 means z to power -2], and M is the mass of the Earth and G is the gravitational constant)

Homework Equations

(1) : dv/dt = - g - kv

(2) : z'' + kz' + GMz^-2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

z'' + kz' = 0

and solving the complimentary equation, which was OK, but when i came to solve for the particular integral
There is no "complementary equation" nor is there a "particular integral". Those are both concepts in linear differential equations where the non-homogeneous part is a function of the independent variable only.

z'' + kz' = -GMz^-2

i ran into problems, as after substituting in the D and Q operators (http://silmaril.math.sci.qut.edu.au/~gustafso/mab112/topic12/ ), i could not use the First Shift Theorem, as the RHS is not in an exponential form...

Any ideas anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is free fall due to gravity?

Free fall due to gravity is the motion of an object falling towards the ground due to the force of gravity. This force is constant and causes objects to accelerate towards the Earth at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared.

2. What factors affect free fall due to gravity?

The only factor that affects free fall due to gravity is the mass of the object. The greater the mass, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the object will accelerate towards the ground.

3. How is the speed of an object in free fall calculated?

The speed of an object in free fall can be calculated using the formula v = gt, where v is the final velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time the object has been falling.

4. Does air resistance affect free fall due to gravity?

Yes, air resistance can affect the speed of an object in free fall. As objects fall, they encounter air resistance which acts in the opposite direction of the force of gravity, slowing down the object's acceleration towards the ground.

5. What is the difference between free fall and terminal velocity?

Free fall is the motion of an object falling towards the ground due to the force of gravity, while terminal velocity is the maximum speed an object can reach when falling due to the balance between the force of gravity and air resistance. In free fall, an object's speed will continue to increase, while in terminal velocity, an object's speed will remain constant.