No EDIT Button - Other Users Experiencing Same Issue?

• Thread starter Janitor
  • Start date
In summary, the EDIT button is not showing up for some posters when they try to post within a thread.
Janitor
Science Advisor
I virtually never manage to get a post the way I want it on the first try, so I rely heavily on the EDIT button. Right now the EDIT button isn't showing up at the bottom of the posts within a thread. Anybody else having this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, and wouldn't you just know it... As soon as I uploaded the post above, it showed up with the normal EDIT button just to the left of the QUOTE button, as if to taunt me.

Which forum were you trying to post to?

- Warren

Actually, I see that particular one still does not give me an EDIT:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=229016#post229016

You cannot edit Usenet posts.

- Warren

Alrighty, then. I had not picked up on the fact that it was a Usenet thread. In fact, I plead ignorance as to what that is. I guess it could mean the posts were imported from some other site, rather than originating in the Physics Forum proper.

Yes, the sci.physics.research and sci.physics.strings forums are actually filled with posts automatically downloaded from the global bulletin board system called Usenet. The reason we disallow editing of posts to those groups is because the posts are actually sent off to the Usenet within about 10 minutes of being posted. There is no way for the poster to rescind the post, or edit it once it has been posted. The post will propagate to all the news servers in the world, and cannot be "undone."

Since we want physicsforums to present the exact same posts as those actually on Usenet servers, we cannot allow people to edit them after posting.

- Warren

Okay, now I understand. Everybody connected to "all the news servers in the world" will get their chance to laugh at old Janitor. :rofl:

1. What is the issue with the "No EDIT Button" on other users' accounts?

The "No EDIT Button" issue refers to the inability to edit posts or comments on other users' accounts on a specific platform or website. This issue can occur for various reasons, such as technical glitches, software updates, or user permissions.

2. Why am I unable to edit posts on other users' accounts?

The inability to edit posts on other users' accounts can be due to various reasons. It could be a platform or website issue, or the user may not have the necessary permissions to edit other users' content. It could also be a result of software updates or technical glitches.

3. Is there a way to fix the "No EDIT Button" issue on other users' accounts?

Yes, the "No EDIT Button" issue can be resolved by troubleshooting the problem. This can include checking for software updates, clearing cache and cookies, or contacting the platform or website's customer support for assistance.

4. How common is the "No EDIT Button" issue on other users' accounts?

The frequency of the "No EDIT Button" issue on other users' accounts can vary depending on the platform or website. However, it is a common issue that can occur due to technical glitches, updates, or user permissions.

5. What can I do if I encounter the "No EDIT Button" issue on other users' accounts?

If you encounter the "No EDIT Button" issue on other users' accounts, you can try troubleshooting the problem by checking for software updates, clearing cache and cookies, or contacting customer support for assistance. If the issue persists, you may need to wait for the platform or website to resolve the issue or find alternative methods to edit the content.