Find q in F = qVe + (Pe - Pa) * Ae with this simple formula

In summary, the formula F = qVe + (Pe - Pa) * Ae is given and the goal is to solve for q. After some confusion and incorrect attempts, it is clarified that in order to isolate q, the entire term Ae(Pe-Pa) must be moved to the other side of the equation. The final solution is q = (F-(Pe-Pa)Ae)/Ve.
.:Endeavour:.
I have this formula: F = qVe + (Pe - Pa) * Ae; I want to get q by its self. This what I did to get q by its self.

F = qVe + (Pe - Pa) * Ae

[tex]\frac{F - (P_e - P_a)}{(A_e)} = \frac{(V_e * q)(A_e)}{(A_e)}[/tex]

[( F - (Pe - Pa)) ÷ Ae] ÷ Ve = q

This is how I got q by itself in order to solve for q. I'm not sure if its correct, so please look over it to see if its correct. Thank you for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's wrong. When you move the (Pe-Pa)Ae term over to the side with F, you lost the Ae and multiplied Veq by Ae instead.

Office_Shredder said:
...you lost the Ae and multiplied Veq by Ae instead.

I don't get what you are saying by loosing Ae from (Pe - Pa). I get wat you are saying after the and part of the sentence. Can you change the place of Ae because of order of operations, you will have to multiply first before you can add: + Ae * (Pe - Pa)?

I think what you did, correct me if I'm wrong, is subtract (Pe-Pa) from both sides and then divide everything by Ae.

The problem with this is that subtracting from the right hand side doesn't eliminate the (Pe-Pa) because it has an Ae attached to it. What Office_Shredder is saying is you have to move the entire term, Ae(Pe-P), over to the other side:

[tex]F=qV_{e}+(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}[/tex]

Subtract [tex](P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}[/tex] from both sides:

[tex]F-(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}=qV_{e}+(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}-(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}[/tex]

[tex]F-(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}=qV_{e}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{F-(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}}{V_{e}}=q[/tex]

To make explicit what you did:

[tex]F=qV_{e}+(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}[/tex]

[tex]F-(P_{e}-P_{a})=qV_{e}+(P_{e}-P_{a})A_{e}-(P_{e}-P_{a})[/tex]

And you see the terms don't drop out on the right hand side. Hope this clarifies.

Ok, yes it does clarify. Ae is meant to multiply with (Pe - Pa) not to divide F - (Pe - Pa), which is not dividing but multiplying. Thank you for your help.

1. What is arithmetic?

Arithmetic is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of numbers and their manipulation using basic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What is the purpose of checking arithmetic?

The purpose of checking arithmetic is to ensure the accuracy of calculations and to identify any mistakes or errors in the process.

3. How do I check my arithmetic for a formula?

To check your arithmetic for a formula, you can follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) and work through each step of the formula to ensure that the calculations are correct.

4. What are some common mistakes to look out for when checking arithmetic?

Some common mistakes to look out for when checking arithmetic include errors in the order of operations, incorrect use of signs (e.g. adding instead of subtracting), and misplacing decimal points.

5. Can I use a calculator to check my arithmetic?

Yes, you can use a calculator to check your arithmetic. However, it is still important to understand the steps involved in the calculation and to manually check for any errors.