Wheelbarrow and load advantage (i think)

• Thread starter armbrecht
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load
In summary, the problem involves a wheelbarrow holding a mass of 15kg at a distance of 35cm from the handle, with the fulcrum located 65cm from the handle. The equation used is (f1)x(d1)=(f2)x(d2) and the solution is 6.9kg. However, the answer should be in a ratio or percentage form, which would be 2.17 or 117%, and the wheel of the wheelbarrow is the fulcrum. It is also recommended to draw a free body diagram and use the sum of moments to approach the problem more accurately.
armbrecht

Homework Statement

A wheelbarrow is holding a mass of 15kg, 35cm from the handle. The fulcrum is located 65cm from the handle. What is the mechanical advantage at the handle?

Handle Load Fulcrum
_______________============_
____________ O (wheel)

Homework Equations

I believe it is (f1)x(d1)=(f2)x(d2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Therefore ...
(f1)x(65)=(15)x(30) 30 being the distance from the handle to the centre of load.
(f1)x(65)=450
f1=450 / 65
f1=6.9 kg

Is this correct? I am a complete dummy at physics :(

Physics news on Phys.org
no, unfortunately you made a slight calculation error, but the rest is ok. your distance from the handle to the centre of the load is 35, not 30. Also, the term "mechanical advantage" gives me the feeling your answer should be in a ration or percentage form. ie. If I lifted the 15kg mass directly, it's mass is 15kg, if I use the wheelbarrow, it's apparent mass is 6.9kg. Therefore I have a mechanical advantage of 15/6.9=2.17 or (15-6.9)/6.9=117%

Also, the wheel of your wheelbarrow is the fulcrum and it appears to be in a strange positon on your drawing. To approach this problem more accurately, you should draw a free body diagram, state that the system is equilibrium and let the sum of moments about your fulcrum be zero. You'll end up with the same result, but it will be neater and more rigid.

Yes, your calculation for the force at the handle (f1) is correct. This means that for every 1 kilogram of force applied at the handle, there is a 6.9 kilogram force acting on the load. This is known as the mechanical advantage, which in this case is 6.9. This means that the wheelbarrow is able to lift a load that is 6.9 times heavier than the force applied at the handle. This is due to the use of a lever and the distance between the handle and the fulcrum, which allows for a smaller force to lift a larger load.

What is a wheelbarrow and how does it work?

A wheelbarrow is a simple machine that consists of a single wheel, two handles, and a large bucket or tray. The wheelbarrow is used to transport heavy loads, with the weight of the load being distributed between the wheel and the handles. The wheel acts as a fulcrum, making it easier to move the load while the handles provide leverage for lifting and balancing the load.

What are the advantages of using a wheelbarrow?

One of the main advantages of using a wheelbarrow is that it reduces the amount of physical effort needed to move heavy loads. The wheel and handles allow for easier lifting and balancing, reducing strain on the user's back and arms. Additionally, a wheelbarrow can carry larger and heavier loads than a person could carry on their own, making it a more efficient way to transport materials.

What are the different types of wheelbarrows and their load capacities?

There are several types of wheelbarrows, including single-wheeled, double-wheeled, and motorized. The load capacity of a wheelbarrow can vary depending on the type and size. Generally, a single-wheeled wheelbarrow can carry up to 150-200 pounds, while a double-wheeled wheelbarrow can carry up to 400-500 pounds. Motorized wheelbarrows can carry even heavier loads.

How do you properly load a wheelbarrow?

To properly load a wheelbarrow, start by placing the heavy items at the back of the tray, near the wheel. This will help distribute the weight evenly and make it easier to lift. Place lighter items on top of the heavier ones, making sure the load is balanced. Use the handles to lift the wheelbarrow, keeping your back straight and using your legs to lift. Secure the load by holding onto the handles while transporting it.

What safety precautions should be taken when using a wheelbarrow?

When using a wheelbarrow, it is important to wear proper gear such as gloves and closed-toe shoes to protect your hands and feet. Always make sure the load is secure and balanced before transporting it. Avoid overloading the wheelbarrow, as this can cause it to tip over. When going up or down slopes, make sure to keep the wheelbarrow in front of you to prevent it from rolling over you. And always use caution when emptying the load, as the wheelbarrow can become unbalanced and tip over.