Evaluating \int\int_{\sigma} F.n ds with Divergence Theorem

In summary, using the divergence theorem, we can evaluate the integral of F . n ds over a sphere with radius 3 and center at the origin. We first calculate the divergence of F, which is 6. Then, using spherical coordinates, we set up the triple integral and evaluate it to get a volume of 36\pi. Multiplying this by 6 gives us the final result of 216\pi.
boneill3

Homework Statement

Use the divergence theorem to evaluate

[itex]\int\int_{\sigma}F . n ds[/itex]
Where n is the outer unit normal to [itex]\sigma[/itex]

we have
[itex]F(x,y,z)=2x i + 2y j +2z k [/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the sphere [itex]x^2 + y^2 +z^2=9[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int\int_{s}F . dA = \int\int\int_{R}divF dV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out [itex]divF[/itex] to be 6.

so I multyiply that by the Volume of a sphere [itex]6\times\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 = 216\pi[/itex]

To calulate this using spherical co-ordinates.

I would need to calculate a triple integral

I know there's

[itex]\int\int\int p^2 sin(\theta) dp d\theta d\phi[/itex]

I know that p = 3 but what would the values of [itex]\theta [/itex] and [itex]\phi [/itex] be

I guess the limits would be [itex]0<p<3[/itex][itex] 0<\phi<2pi[/itex] and [itex]0<\theta<\phi[/itex]

Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
boneill3 said:

Homework Statement

Use the divergence theorem to evaluate

[itex]\int\int_{\sigma}F . n ds[/itex]
Where n is the outer unit normal to [itex]\sigma[/itex]

we have
[itex]F(x,y,z)=2x i + 2y j +2z k [/itex] and [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the sphere [itex]x^2 + y^2 +z^2=9[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\int\int_{s}F . dA = \int\int\int_{R}divF dV[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out [itex]divF[/itex] to be 6.

so I multyiply that by the Volume of a sphere [itex]6\times\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3 = 216\pi[/itex]

To calulate this using spherical co-ordinates.

I would need to calculate a triple integral

I know there's

[itex]\int\int\int p^2 sin(\theta) dp d\theta d\phi[/itex]

I know that p = 3 but what would the values of [itex]\theta [/itex] and [itex]\phi [/itex] be

I guess the limits would be [itex]0<p<3[/itex][itex] 0<\phi<2pi[/itex] and [itex]0<\theta<\phi[/itex]
No. Your limits on [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are correct but [itex]\theta[/itex] goes from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex].

Any help greatly appreciated

Your limits are correct (assuming of course theta runs from 0 to pi, rather than phi).

All you need to so now is explicitly compute the integral, which is straightforward.

When I calculate the integral I'm getting 36[itex]\pi[/itex]
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

So I compute.

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{3} p^2 sin(\theta) dp d\theta d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\left[\frac{ p^3 sin(\theta)}{3} \right]_{0}^{3} d\theta d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}9sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left[-9cos(\theta) \right]_{0}^{\pi} d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}18 d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\left[18\phi\right]_{0}^{2\pi[/itex]

[itex]=36\pi[/itex]

regards

boneill3 said:
When I calculate the integral I'm getting 36[itex]\pi[/itex]
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

So I compute.

[itex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\int_{0}^{3} p^2 sin(\theta) dp d\theta d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\left[\frac{ p^3 sin(\theta)}{3} \right]_{0}^{3} d\theta d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}9sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}\left[-9cos(\theta) \right]_{0}^{\pi} d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\int_{0}^{2\pi}18 d\phi[/itex]

[itex]=\left[18\phi\right]_{0}^{2\pi[/itex]

[itex]=36\pi[/itex]

regards
Yes, [itex]36\pi[/itex] is the volume of that sphere. Now multiply by 6: [itex]6(36\pi)= 216\pi[/itex].

Thanks for your help

1. What is the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a closed surface to the triple integral of the divergence of the same vector field over the region enclosed by the surface. In simpler terms, it allows for the calculation of a surface integral by instead evaluating a volume integral, which can often be easier to solve.

2. How is the Divergence Theorem used in evaluating \int\int_{\sigma} F.n ds?

When evaluating this type of surface integral, the Divergence Theorem is used to convert it into a triple integral of the divergence of the vector field F over the region enclosed by the surface \sigma. This can then be solved using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the significance of the normal vector n in the surface integral F.n?

The normal vector n represents the direction perpendicular to the surface \sigma. It is used to determine the component of the vector field F that is perpendicular to the surface, which is necessary for calculating the surface integral.

4. What are some common applications of the Divergence Theorem?

The Divergence Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as in fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is also used in solving various types of boundary value problems in mathematics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Divergence Theorem?

While the Divergence Theorem is a powerful tool for solving certain types of surface integrals, it is not applicable in all cases. The surface \sigma must be a closed surface, and the vector field F must be continuously differentiable in the region enclosed by the surface. In some cases, other integration techniques may need to be used instead.