Finding the equation of the line of a cubic function

In summary, to find the equation in the form ax^3+bx^2+cx+d for a curve passing through the origin and (40 sqrt6, -20), you need to use three points to solve for the four variables a, b, c, and d. The origin, (0,0), determines the value of d, while the other two points are needed to determine a, b, and c. It takes three points to determine a quadratic equation and four points to determine a cubic equation.
bsahatjian
Hello,

I am trying to find the equation in the form ax^3+bx^2+cx+d for the curve passing through the origin and (40 sq root 6, -20).
How do I find the a, b, c, and d values?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the curve passes through the origin, what does that tell you about 'd'?

Now if the curve passes through (40 sqrt6, -20) then you have one equation and three unknowns (a,b,c). Evidently, there will not be a unique solution, and you'll have some flexibility in choosing a,b, and c.

Ok so I take it d shifts the curve off the origin, so if it is going through the origin, there is no d value?
And how many points would I need to come up with a, b, and c values?

Yes, setting x= 0 gives y= a03+ b02+ c0+ d= d. "Going through the origin" means x= 0 gives y= 0. You need 3 equations to solve for three variables. Each point gives an x and y value to put into the equation so you need three points to solve for the three variables a, b, and c.

Ok thanks so much. I will work on getting a third point.

No, you need two more points. In your original form, [itex]y= ax^3+ bx^2+ cx+ d= 0[/itex], you have 4 numbers to determine, a, b, c, and d. You used the origin, (0,0) to determine d. Now you need 3 other points to determine a, b, and c.

You probably learned in geometry that "two points determine a line". Taking a= b= 0 you get a line, with equation y= cx+ d passing through those two points. Three points will determine a quadratic and it requires four points to determine a cubic.

1. What is the general equation of a cubic function?

The general equation of a cubic function is y = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the independent variable.

2. How do I determine the slope of a cubic function?

The slope of a cubic function can be determined by finding the derivative of the function. The derivative of a cubic function is a quadratic function, so you can use the slope formula for a quadratic function, which is m = 2ax + b.

3. Can I find the equation of the line of a cubic function without knowing the coordinates of any points?

No, you need to know at least one point on the cubic function to find the equation of the line. This can be done by plugging in the coordinates of the point into the general equation of a cubic function and solving for the constants a, b, c, and d.

4. How do I graph a cubic function and its line equation on the same coordinate plane?

To graph a cubic function and its line equation on the same coordinate plane, plot the points of the cubic function and then plot the points of the line equation. Connect the points of the cubic function with a smooth curve and connect the points of the line equation with a straight line.

5. How can I use the equation of a cubic function to make predictions?

The equation of a cubic function can be used to make predictions by plugging in different values for x and solving for y. This will give you the corresponding coordinates on the graph, which can be used to make predictions about the behavior of the function.