What is the maximum mass of rocks one can lift using a wheelbarrow PLEASE HELP

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum mass of rocks a man can lift using a wheelbarrow with a maximum vertical force of 500N. With the center of mass of the rocks at 0.25m from the wheel and the handle at an angle of 35 degrees from the horizontal, the maximum mass of rocks he can lift is 305.8 kg. This is calculated using the sum of torques equation and considering the force applied by the man and the angle of the handle.
mhayer7
What is the maximum mass of rocks one can lift using a wheelbarrow PLEASE HELP!

Homework Statement

A man is using a wheelbarrow to transport rocks across the garden. The man can generate a maximal vertical force of 500N to lift the wheelbarrow. If the centre of mass of the rocks is .25m horizontally from the wheel, and the handle of the wheelbarrow is 1.5m at an angle of 35 degress from the horizontal, what is the maximum mass of rocks he can lift?

Homework Equations

sum or torques equation. f=ma, phythagorean theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried drawing a diagram for this but ended up confusing myself. I know i need to use similar triangles to try and find the max weight since we have the force applied by the man but am not sure how to do it. I know it will be something like MASS OF ROCKS TIMES GRAVITY X .25M = 500N TIMES 1.5M. But I am very confused as to how to accomplish this. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

would this helps?

you should also put in mind the angle

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 737

hey mhayer7:smile:, you don't have to PM me, just post here and you'll get the help from me or others:wink:

did you try this;
sum of torques=0
Fmax[1.5]sin35o=F[0.25]sin35o

note that F here is the force applied on the wheel

hey drizzle,

so using your formula,

Fmax[1.5]sin35o=F[0.25]sin35o

we wud end up with 500 which is the force applied by the man

500[1.5]sin35o/.25[sin35]= 3000 N

3000N / 9.81 = 305.8 kg's

i hope that's right

the 3000N you got isn't the weight of the rock!
read the note

sorry so if i did it like this

since i have 500 and sin 35 using that i can get the perpindicular force which is also the hypoteneuse . so sin35 = 500/z . z = 871.7 then plugging that into your equation

we get 871times 1.5 times sin35 = .25sin35 F

solving for F we get 5230.3
dividing that by 9.81 we get 533.2 kg

Is that right?

no, skip this last calculations you’ve done, what you’ve done previously was good so far [that is, with having 3000N as the force applied on the right side of the wheelbarrow -using Newton’s 3rd law-], now you should calculate the sum of vertical forces [this should equal to zero], then you’ll have the mass of the rock.

1. What is the maximum mass of rocks that can be lifted using a wheelbarrow?

The maximum mass of rocks that can be lifted using a wheelbarrow depends on several factors, such as the strength and size of the wheelbarrow, the terrain, and the physical strength of the person using it. Generally, a standard wheelbarrow can hold up to 200-300 pounds of rocks.

2. Can a wheelbarrow be used to lift heavier rocks than its maximum capacity?

It is not recommended to use a wheelbarrow to lift rocks that exceed its maximum capacity. This can put unnecessary strain on the wheelbarrow and may cause it to break or tip over, potentially causing injury to the user.

3. Can the type of wheelbarrow affect its maximum lifting capacity?

Yes, the type of wheelbarrow can affect its maximum lifting capacity. For example, a heavy-duty wheelbarrow may be able to lift more weight than a standard one. It is important to use the appropriate type of wheelbarrow for the task at hand.

4. What are some safety precautions to keep in mind when lifting rocks with a wheelbarrow?

When lifting rocks with a wheelbarrow, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and closed-toe shoes. Make sure to lift with your legs and not your back to prevent injury. Also, be mindful of the terrain and potential obstacles that may cause the wheelbarrow to tip over.

5. Is there a limit to the number of rocks that can be loaded into a wheelbarrow?

There is no specific limit to the number of rocks that can be loaded into a wheelbarrow, as it depends on the size and weight of the rocks. However, it is important to not overload the wheelbarrow, as this can make it difficult to maneuver and increase the risk of injury.