How to Determine the Location and Velocity of a Rolling Ball Down a Smooth Hill?

In summary, the question is about finding the location and velocity of a ball rolling down a frictionless, one-dimensional hill with a given starting point. The general approach would be to use the angle of the hill and geometry to find the acceleration, without needing any other information such as radius or moment of inertia. However, if there is no friction, there will be no angular acceleration and only linear acceleration will matter.
exmachina
newbie question, say I'm rolling a ball down a smooth , differentiable, and frictionless 1-Dimensional hill V(x) from a point x_i

find the location x(t) and the velocity dx/dt(t) of this ball at some arbitrary time t.

what would be the general approach towards such a problem?

note that for x_i such that dV/dx(x_i) = 0, dx/dt=0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't roll a ball down a frictionless hill, you can only slide it down a frictionless hill.

You can use the angle of the hill and geometry to find the acceleration. You need no other information besides the angle of the hill and the value of g.

I disagree with russ watters. Don't you need Radius and moment of Inertia, Or that you are telling about sliding case. At that case you are right.

In the rolling case for a hard solid ball of uniform density without friction;

m*g*h = rotational K.E + linear K.E

mgh = (1/2)*I*w^2 + (1/2)*m*v^2
I = moment of inertia
w = angular velocity of ball
v = linear speed

now a rolling ball of diameter r turning at frequency has a linear speed v of;
v = 2*pi*r*f = w*r

so w = v/r

Therefore:
mgh = (1/2)*I*w^2 + (1/2)*m*v^2
becomes:
mgh = (1/2)*I*(v/r)^2 + (1/2)*m*v^2
= (1/2)*((2/5)*m*r^2)*(v/r)^2 + (1/2)*m*v^2
g*h = (1/2)*((2/5)*r^2)*(v/r)^2 + (1/2)*v^2
= (7/10)*v^2
v= sqrt((10/7)*g*h

So if h = 1m, d = 1m
v = 3.72 m/s

Last edited:
You can't have a one dimensional "hill". You can have a one dimensional line and some constant force or constant acceleration.

If there is no friction, then there is no angular acceleration, so only the linear acceleration matters.

If the hill has 2 or 3 dimensions, isn't frictionless, then the rolling resistance will be greater than m*g*cos(θ)*(b/r), because rolling resistance is related to the total force between surfaces, not just the normal component.

thecritic said:
I disagree with russ watters. Don't you need Radius and moment of Inertia, Or that you are telling about sliding case. At that case you are right.
Radius and moment of inertia are needed if the ball is to be spun, but if there is no friction, there is no tangential force applied to the ball and thus no way to spin it.

To keep the responses to my questions in one place I will post in the other thread.

Last edited:

1. What factors affect the speed of a ball rolling down a hill?

The speed of a ball rolling down a hill is primarily affected by two factors: the steepness of the hill and the mass of the ball. The steeper the hill, the faster the ball will accelerate due to the force of gravity. Similarly, a heavier ball will have more momentum and therefore roll faster down the hill. Other factors that can affect the speed include surface friction, air resistance, and the shape and texture of the ball.

2. How does the height of the hill impact the distance a ball will travel?

The height of the hill does not directly impact the distance a ball will travel. However, the height can affect the speed of the ball, which in turn can affect the distance it travels. A higher hill will provide more potential energy to the ball, causing it to roll faster and potentially travel a greater distance. However, other factors such as surface friction and air resistance can also impact the distance the ball travels.

3. What is the relationship between the angle of the hill and the distance a ball will roll?

The angle of the hill has a direct relationship with the distance a ball will roll. The greater the angle of the hill, the steeper the slope and the faster the ball will accelerate. This will result in the ball rolling a greater distance than if the hill were less steep. However, as mentioned before, other factors such as surface friction and air resistance can also impact the distance the ball travels.

4. How does the shape of the ball impact its rolling down a hill?

The shape of the ball can affect its rolling down a hill in several ways. A spherical ball will roll more smoothly and consistently down a hill compared to a ball with an irregular shape. This is because a spherical ball has a more uniform distribution of mass, allowing it to roll more easily. Additionally, the surface area of the ball can also impact its rolling speed, with a larger surface area creating more air resistance and slowing down the ball.

5. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy when a ball rolls down a hill?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or height. When a ball is rolling down a hill, it has both kinetic and potential energy. As it moves down the hill, its potential energy decreases while its kinetic energy increases. At the bottom of the hill, the ball will have converted all of its potential energy into kinetic energy, resulting in its maximum speed.