Can Xcode be used to compile C++ programs for a Mac from a Linux system?

In summary, a friend who uses a Mac wants a small app written by someone who uses Linux. The app doesn't require a GUI and just needs a few lines in C++. The question is whether the app can be compiled on Linux and used on Mac without any extra work for the Mac user. Generally, it is not possible to do so, but the Mac should have the necessary compiler installed. Alternatively, the developer can use the GCC on the Mac or use XCode, which includes GCC and other tools. There are also options for creating cross-platform GUI programs.
daniel_i_l
Gold Member
I use linux on a pc and one of my friends who uses a mac wants me to write a small app for him. It doesn't need any GUI of anything, just a few lines in C++ with a bitmap image for input and an output to a text file.
Is there a way for me to compile it in linux so that he'll be able to use it with his mac? He isn't very computer literate so I don't want him to have to do a lot of tweaking.
Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
In general, you cannot compile it on a Linux machine and then run it on a Mac. The Mac should already have the GNU compiler collection installed on it, though, so you should be able to compile it on the Mac with the same commands you would use on the Linux box.

- Warren

If you compile using gcc on the linux box, should it not work on unix since the two are similar?

I remember running a small program on Solaris that was compiled in ubuntu.

XCode is Apple's Development Suite (free through Apple Developer, and I think it's still included--but not installed--on the OS X DVD, up to Leopard, OS X 10.5)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xcode
http://developer.apple.com/TOOLS/xcode/

I think (but am not positive) that it includes GCC, and a whole lot of other things. However, it should be able to compile your (very basic, and non-system specific) C++ code to at least a terminal program. Barring that, there're Widgets like QT, wxWidgets, and GTK+ which would allow you to develop cross-platform (to a point) GUI programs.

1. What programming languages can I use to write programs for a Mac?

There are several programming languages that can be used to write programs for a Mac, including Objective-C, Swift, and C++. It ultimately depends on your personal preference and the requirements of your project.

2. Do I need a Mac computer to write programs for a Mac?

Yes, in order to develop programs for a Mac, you will need a Mac computer. This is because the operating system, Xcode, and other necessary tools are only available on Mac machines.

3. Can I distribute my Mac program through the App Store?

Yes, it is possible to distribute your Mac program through the App Store. However, there are certain guidelines and requirements that must be met in order for your program to be approved for distribution.

4. What is the best way to test my Mac program?

The best way to test your Mac program is by using Xcode's built-in simulator. This allows you to test your program on different versions of macOS and different screen sizes without needing multiple physical devices.

5. Are there any differences in writing programs for a Mac versus other operating systems?

Yes, there are some differences in writing programs for a Mac compared to other operating systems. For example, Mac programs often have a more user-friendly and visually appealing interface due to the use of the Cocoa framework. Additionally, some functionality and libraries may be specific to macOS.