Matplotlib- scaling the marker with the grid.

In summary, to plot data onto a hammer plot using ipy-matplotlib, try using a scatter plot instead of a marker plot and use a color gradient plot with a colormap to represent different values in the data. This will help visualize the differences between the groups of delta values.
birdhen
Hi there,

I am plotting some data onto a hammer plot using ipy- matplotlib. The axes on the plot range from alpha= -pi:pi and beta=-pi/2:pi/2. I have a value (lets call it delta) for each point on the plot where (alpha=integer,beta=integer). I have arranged the delta values in ascending order and grouped them ie delta1=0-2, delta2=2-4, etc. I want to plot the separate groups in diffreent colours on the hammer plot to get a plot that is entirely covered with the data. The problem I am having is that if I use a circular marker "o", then at the center of the graph all the points overlap and then at the poles and each side they are spread out.

Does anyone know how I can scale the markers at each point (so they grow at the same rate as the grid)?

Many thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
</code>You could try using a scatter plot instead of a marker plot. Scatter plots allow you to specify the size of each point, so you could use this to create a graph with points that grow as they move away from the center. You could also use a color gradient plot with a colormap to represent different values in the data. This would let you assign different colors to each group of delta values, so that you can easily visualize the differences between them. Hope this helps!

I would suggest using the "s" parameter in the scatter function of matplotlib. This parameter allows you to specify the size of the markers in points^2. You can set the size of the markers based on the delta values, so that they scale with the grid. This way, the markers will not overlap at the center and will also be appropriately sized at the poles and sides. Here is an example code snippet:

plt.scatter(x, y, s=delta, marker='o')

You can also play around with the scaling factor to adjust the size of the markers according to your preference. Additionally, you may also want to consider using different marker shapes for each group to make the plot more visually appealing. I hope this helps!

1. What is Matplotlib?

Matplotlib is a popular open-source library in Python used for creating data visualizations. It provides a variety of tools for creating different types of plots, charts, and graphs.

2. How do I scale the marker with the grid in Matplotlib?

To scale the marker with the grid in Matplotlib, you can use the markersize parameter in the scatter() function. This parameter allows you to specify the size of the markers, and it will be scaled according to the size of the grid.

3. What is the purpose of scaling the marker with the grid in Matplotlib?

Scaling the marker with the grid in Matplotlib is useful when you want to create a plot with markers that are proportional to the data points. This can help in visualizing the data more accurately and making meaningful comparisons between different data points.

4. Can I customize the scaling of the marker in Matplotlib?

Yes, you can customize the scaling of the marker in Matplotlib by using the s parameter in the scatter() function. This parameter allows you to specify a scaling factor for the markers, which can be useful when you want to adjust the size of the markers based on your specific data.

5. Are there any other methods for scaling the marker in Matplotlib?

Yes, there are other methods for scaling the marker in Matplotlib, such as using the markerscale parameter or setting the size of the markers using the size parameter in the scatter() function. You can also use different marker types, such as circles or squares, to achieve different scaling effects.