Simple Force problem(Picture and Graphical Data included.)

In summary, the speaker is struggling with a physics problem involving a group of cheerleaders in equilibrium. They must find the force on the top cheerleader's hands, the force from the bottom cheerleader to the guys on the sides, the force on the bottom guy's shoulder, and the force on the bottom guy's feet. The equations needed for this problem are Force = Mass x Acceleration of Gravity and the Pythagorean Theorem. The speaker is unsure which values to use for the forces and is seeking help from others.
mjain275
Hey, I've just started the curriculum at my school and can not seem to figure this problem out.

Homework Statement

Basically, I have the image below of a few cheerleaders doing a pose. They are in complete equilibrium. I have to find the force put on where the top cheerleader's hands are connected to the top cheerleader. I have to find the force put on by the bottom cheerleader to the guys on the sides. I have to find the force that is being put on the bottom guy's shoulder. Also, what is the force that is being put onto the bottom guy's feet. My points are also attached.

111o2ug.png

4j5d7r.jpg

Homework Equations

Force = Mass x Acceleration of Gravity.
Pythagorean Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the force that is being put on the top cheerleader from the two guys to the sides is similar to the simple conversion of each of the masses of the cheerleaders time 9.81(the acceleration of gravity.) Now, would I use the value that I get that is the perpendicular to the floor, or would I use the force that has a vertical length. This would just be for the hands. Now, to get the force that the person is putting onto the bottom person from the sides, I though that I would take the mass of the cheerleaders on the sides and figure the horizontal length in Newtons. The

This problem has stumped me. Thanks in advance, if someone may help me out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bump!

Up you go!

you should draw the free body diagram of each of them and resolve the resultant forces acting on them into the x and y component

What is a simple force problem?

A simple force problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the magnitude and direction of a single force acting on an object.

How do I solve a simple force problem?

To solve a simple force problem, you need to know the mass of the object, the direction of the force, and the strength of the force. You can then use Newton's second law of motion (F=ma) to calculate the force.

What is the purpose of a force diagram in a simple force problem?

A force diagram, also known as a free-body diagram, is used to visually represent the forces acting on an object in a simple force problem. It helps to identify all the forces involved and their directions, making it easier to solve the problem.

What are the units of force used in a simple force problem?

The most commonly used unit of force in a simple force problem is the Newton (N). However, other units such as pounds (lbs) or dynes (dyn) can also be used.

What are some real-life examples of simple force problems?

Simple force problems can be seen in everyday situations such as pushing a shopping cart, throwing a ball, or lifting weights. They are also used in engineering and design to determine the forces acting on structures or machines.