Line passes through a point parallet to parametric equations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point of intersection of a line parallel to the given line and passing through a specific point. The process involves finding the parametric equations for the new line and then solving for the coordinates by setting the equations equal to zero for each of the coordinate planes.
megr_ftw

Homework Statement

Consider the line which passes through the point P(-1, 4, 3), and which is parallel to the line x = 1 + 3t, y = 2 + 4t, z = 3 + 5t
Find the point of intersection of this new line with each of the coordinate planes:
xy-plane: ( , , 0 )
xz-plane: ( , 0 , )
yz-plane: ( 0 , , )

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can figure out the whole intersection thing, I just don't understand how I'm suppose to make it parallel to a line at the same time.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're approaching this in the wrong order. First, find the parameteric equations for the line through (-1, 4, 3), then figure out where this line intersects the coordinate planes.

megr_ftw said:
I can figure out the whole intersection thing, I just don't understand how I'm suppose to make it parallel to a line at the same time.

Hi megr_ftw! :smile:

I don't understand what you're saying here :confused:

an intersection is a point, it can't be parallel to a line (or to anything).

You're asked what is the line through P parallel to the given line. :smile:

so how do i go about finding that line that is parallel but passes through the certain point?

So the line in question is parallel to this line:

[tex]\hat{r}=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
2 \\
\end{array}
\right) + \left(
\begin{array}{c}
3 \\
4 \\
\end{array}
\right)t[/tex]

Since it passes through the given point as described it must be that the new line is this?

[tex]

\hat{s}=\left(
\begin{array}{c}
-1 \\
4 \\
\end{array}
\right) + \left(
\begin{array}{c}
3 \\
4 \\
\end{array}
\right)t[/tex]

Intersection of the planes will be found in the instance that:

[tex] 3t - 1 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 4t + 4 = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 5t + 3 = 0 [/tex]

For yz-,xz- and xy-planes.

To find the co-ordinates the values found for t need be plugged into the line s.

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that describe a curve or surface by using one or more independent variables, typically denoted as t or θ. These equations express the coordinates of points on the curve or surface in terms of the independent variable(s).

2. How do you determine if a line passes through a point parallel to parametric equations?

To determine if a line passes through a point parallel to parametric equations, you can use the point-slope form of a line. Plug in the point's coordinates into the equation and compare the slope of the line to the slope of the parametric equations. If the slopes are equal, then the line passes through the point parallel to the parametric equations.

3. What is the significance of a line passing through a point parallel to parametric equations?

A line passing through a point parallel to parametric equations indicates that the line and the curve or surface described by the parametric equations have the same direction. This can be useful in understanding the relationship between the line and the curve or surface.

4. Can you have multiple lines passing through a point parallel to parametric equations?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple lines passing through a point parallel to parametric equations. This occurs when the line and the curve or surface described by the parametric equations have the same direction but different starting points.

5. How do you graph a line passing through a point parallel to parametric equations?

To graph a line passing through a point parallel to parametric equations, first plot the point on the coordinate plane. Then, use the slope of the parametric equations to determine the direction of the line. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line to plot additional points on the line and connect them to create the line passing through the point parallel to the parametric equations.