Just can't figure this one out

• Thread starter bullet_ballet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the problem states that I am to fire a projectile from some distance d above the ground (ignoring air resistance) with initial velocity v0 and initial angle θ. Between R (the maximum horizontal distance), v0, θ, and the drop d there is a relationship R sin2θ + d (1 + cos2θ) = R²/R0 where R0 ≡ v0²/g.
bullet_ballet
Please bear with my verbosity on this one, and with the messy symbols. :yuck:

The problem states that I am to fire a projectile from some distance d above the ground (ignoring air resistance) with initial velocity v0 and initial angle θ. I am to show that between R (the maximum horizontal distance), v0, θ, and the drop d there is a relationship R sin2θ + d (1 + cos2θ) = R²/R0 where R0 ≡ v0²/g.

Well, the way I see it the range has two parts. The first part is the range R1, the horizontal distance the projectile covers in going from y=d to some ymax and then falling back to y=d. This is given by the normal
(v0² sin2θ)/g. Then one should have to calculate the horizontal distance covered by the drop from y=d to y=0, which is simply R2=v cosθ t', where t' is the time it takes for the ball to drop from y=d to y=0. Well, at y=d the object should have velocity v0 and be falling at angle θ. To find t' I use the formula y=y0 + v0 sinθ t' - ½ g t'². Plugging in y=0 and y0=d and using the quadratic formula I get that:

t' = [v0 sinθ ± √(v0² sin²θ + 2gd)]/g.

Now, adding R1 and R2 to get R, I obtain:

R = R1+R2 = (v0² sin2θ)/g + (v0² sin2θ)/2g - [v0 cosθ √(v0² sin²θ + 2gd)]/g

or R = (3 v0² sin2θ)/2g - [v0 cosθ √(v0² sin²θ + 2gd)]/g

Well, I can't manipulate that equation to get the necessary relationship, and in a related problem utilizing the above equation didn't give me the correct answer (they asked for an maximizing angle and a v0).

The logic seems pretty sound to me, so what am I doing wrong? I've been agonizing over this for hours, so any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
One obvious mistake you've done is in your calculation of R2:
"at y=d the object should have velocity v0 and be falling at angle θ. To find t' I use the formula y=y0 + v0 sinθ t' - ½ g t'²."

The projectile is FALLING, not RISING!
Hence, surely, you must use:
y=y0-v0sin(theta)t'-1/2gt'^2

(I haven't checked the rest yet)

Note:
The formula you use is valid from the initial point, i.e, when the projectile is shot upwards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply!

I can't believe I made such a basic mistake. With that sign change, I'm able to manipulate the terms and obtain the final answer. Much appreciated.

1. What does "just can't figure this one out" mean?

"Just can't figure this one out" is a phrase commonly used when someone is struggling to understand or solve a problem. It can also be used when someone is feeling stuck or frustrated with a task.

2. How can I figure out something that seems impossible to solve?

One strategy is to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. Another approach is to step away from the problem for a while and come back to it with a fresh perspective. It can also be helpful to brainstorm and try different solutions, even if they seem unconventional.

3. Why do some problems seem impossible to solve?

There are many reasons why a problem may seem impossible to solve. It could be due to a lack of information, limited resources, or a complicated issue. Sometimes our own biases or thought patterns can also make a problem seem more difficult than it actually is.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving puzzles, playing strategy games, or tackling real-life challenges. Additionally, seeking out different perspectives and approaches can also help expand problem-solving abilities.

5. What are some common obstacles to solving problems?

Some common obstacles to solving problems include fear of failure, lack of motivation, and being stuck in a particular mindset. Other factors such as time constraints, limited resources, and external pressures can also hinder problem-solving efforts.