Motor selection for vertical lift door with balanced counterweights

In summary, the speaker is seeking help in selecting a motor to lift a 1000kg door with minimal power costs. They plan to use balanced counterweights and have calculated that only a small amount of power is needed to overcome inertia and friction. They are surprised by the small motor requirement and are seeking further insights.
davemech
I'm having trouble selecting a suitable motor to lift a single leaf 1000kg door. To cut down on power costs i plan to use perfectly (or as close as i can get) balanced counterweights. The door is to be lifted 4m vertically using wire rope hung over two sheaves connected to the respective counterweights (each weighing 500kg). The door is to be accelerated from rest at 0.05m/s^2 to a speed of 0.1m/s, kept constant until an equal decceleration occurs. As the weigth of the door is balanced by that of the counterweights it seems that the power required to operate the door is absolutely minimal. The only power input necessary seems to be that needed to overcome the inertia of the sheave (which will weigh 50kg and have a diameter of about 0.6m) and the friction associated with the roller bearings which i plan to fit the sheaves on, which according to my calculations seems negligible. The only additional source of friction i can think of is the anti-friction cam followers which will guide the door.
All of this seems to reuire a Very small motor,only a fraction of a HP at most, which seems a bit odd to me! Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
got it

1. What type of motor is best suited for a vertical lift door with balanced counterweights?

The best type of motor for this application would be a gear motor. This type of motor provides the necessary torque to lift the door and can be easily controlled for precise positioning.

2. How do I determine the right size of motor for my vertical lift door?

The size of the motor needed depends on the weight of the door and the speed at which it needs to be lifted. It is important to calculate the torque required to lift the door and choose a motor that can provide that torque.

3. Can I use a standard motor for a vertical lift door with balanced counterweights?

It is not recommended to use a standard motor for this type of application. A gear motor or a specially designed motor for vertical lift doors would be more suitable as they can handle the weight and provide precise control.

4. How do I ensure the motor is durable enough for continuous use?

It is important to choose a motor that is designed for continuous use and has a high duty cycle. The motor should also have proper ventilation and be installed in a suitable environment to prevent overheating.

5. Can I use a single motor for multiple vertical lift doors with balanced counterweights?

No, it is not recommended to use a single motor for multiple doors. Each door should have its own motor to ensure proper and safe operation. This also allows for individual control of each door.