Understanding Semi-Direct Products in Group Theory and Lie Algebras

• Thread starter haushofer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of semi-direct products in group theory, specifically in relation to direct products and Lie groups. The author notes that a group is a direct product of two subgroups if it contains normal subgroups with a specific property. The conversation also references a theorem on normal subgroups and provides a link for further reading.
haushofer
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Hi,

I try to get a grasp on semi-direct products, by notes written by Patrick J. Morandi ("Semi direct products"). I see that the notion of a semi-direct product is more general than a direct product.

However, the author states that

A group G is a direct product of two groups iff G contains normal subgroups [itex]N_1[/itex] and [itex]N_2[/itex] such that [itex]N_1\cap N_2 = \{e\}[/itex] and [itex]G= N_1 N_2[/itex].

Why is this exactly the case?

And also, how can I translate this for Lie groups on the level of the Lie algebra? (For instance, for the Poincare group). If someone knows good notes or a textbook I'm happy to be informed also :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I see that

[itex]
N_1\cap N_2 = \{e\}
[/itex]
gives that the decomposition is unique, but I don't see why the subgroups have to be normal. What happens if they're not?

It is a standard theorem in group theory that if [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]K[/tex] are normal subgroups of [tex]G[/tex] and [tex]H\cap K=\{e\}[/tex], then [tex]HK\cong H\times K[/tex].

see e.g. http://homepage.mac.com/ehgoins/ma553/lecture_21.pdf ("recognition theorem").

You can probably prove the converse for yourself. (just think of {(h,e)|h\in H} and {(e,k)|k\in K})

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, thanks! Yes, the converse is quite clear to me I guess, but I don't see clearly why these subgroups have to be normal. I'll check your link, thanks again! :)

1. What is a semi-direct product?

A semi-direct product is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two groups. It is a way of combining two groups, where one group acts on the other group in a specific way.

2. How is a semi-direct product different from a direct product?

In a direct product, the two groups are completely independent of each other. However, in a semi-direct product, one group has some influence or control over the other group.

3. What are the advantages of using semi-direct products?

Semi-direct products allow us to study the structure and properties of groups in a more efficient way. They also help us understand the relationship between different groups and how they interact with each other.

4. How do you compute the semi-direct product of two groups?

To compute the semi-direct product of two groups, you first need to determine the action of one group on the other. Then, you can use this action to define the multiplication rule for the semi-direct product.

5. Can a semi-direct product be expressed as a direct product?

Yes, in some cases, a semi-direct product can be expressed as a direct product. This happens when the two groups involved are commutative, meaning their elements can be rearranged without changing the result.