Writing the Magnetic Induction Eq. for a Rotating Magnetic Field

In summary, the individual is seeking help in understanding how to write the magnetic induction equation in the case of a rotating magnetic field. They are particularly interested in the case of a rotating star with a magnetic field interacting with orbiting plasma. The general equation for magnetic induction is provided, but the individual is unsure of how to account for the rotation of the reference frame. They are seeking resources on Maxwell's equations in non-inertial frames.
Sky Walker
Hello everybody, I have a question about the magnetic induction equation. I am interested in the non ideal case, i.e. when there is a non negligible diffusivity, however as regards my question I think that this is not relevant.

I first ask the question and then give additional explanations:
How do I write the magnetic induction equation when the magnetic field is rotating (of if you prefer, when the reference system where the magnetic field is at rest is not a non inertial one)?

In particular, I am interested in the case of a rotating star, which is endowed with some magnetic field. The field is anchored to the surface of the star and corotates with it. Then I want to use the indcution equation to describe the interaction between the stellar magnetic field and some plasma which is orbiting around the central object.

Now, in general the magnetic induction equation is written as:

d_t B = nabla x ( v x B - eta nabla x B )

where:
d_t = partial derivative with respect to time
B = magnetic field
v = velocity field of the plasma
eta = total diffusivity
x = cross product and
nabla = del operator

The problem is that "in general" the electromagnetic field are not considered to be moving by themselves. "Not so bad, why don't you just go in a reference where the electromagnetic is at rest?" Yes I can do that, but the point is that this reference would be non inertial (it is rotating), therefore I would expect to find some additional terms in the equation. Otherwise I think that the only difference would be that of changing the velocity of the plasma v, with the relative velocity between the plasma and the magnetic field.

Can someone help me in finding which are these additional terms?
It might be useful to shift the problem to Maxwell's equations and Ohm's law, since the induction equation is derived from them (in the approximation of non-relativistic motion and neglecting the displacement current).

I apologise if posting in the wrong forum section.
Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your advice, that was useful, but I am still struggling.

Can anybody give me a reference about Maxwell's equations in non-inertial frames? This should be quite a known issue, however I have not find any book or review where it is properly treated/addressed.

1. What is a rotating magnetic field?

A rotating magnetic field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created by rotating electric currents. This type of field is commonly produced by three-phase electric motors and generators.

2. Why is it important to write the magnetic induction equation for a rotating magnetic field?

The magnetic induction equation for a rotating magnetic field is important because it describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the motion of the electric currents that create it. This equation is essential for understanding and predicting the behavior of electric motors and generators.

3. How is the magnetic induction equation for a rotating magnetic field written?

The magnetic induction equation for a rotating magnetic field is written as B = μ0Iω/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, ω is the angular frequency, and r is the distance from the center of rotation.

4. What is the significance of the angular frequency in the magnetic induction equation?

The angular frequency, ω, in the magnetic induction equation represents the rate at which the electric currents are rotating. This value is directly related to the speed of rotation of the magnetic field and is an important factor in determining the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Can the magnetic induction equation for a rotating magnetic field be used for other types of electromagnetic fields?

Yes, the magnetic induction equation for a rotating magnetic field is a general equation that can be applied to other types of electromagnetic fields as well. However, it is most commonly used for rotating magnetic fields in electric motors and generators.