Calculation of magnetic field

In summary, Bob is working on a generator and needs to calculate the magnetic field density and strength at a given distance from the magnet surface. He also needs to calculate the B field decay to the side.
keith03
I have been working on a generator. I would like to double check the "guidelines" given to me. I need to calculate the magnetic field density and stregnth at given distance away from the magnet surface (pole). I also need to calculate B as they decay to the side.

I have circular magnets on a 1/4" steel disk. They are N48 grade, 1" in diameter, and 1/4 " thick. They are placed at 30 degree intervals around a circle. I need to insure that my diameter is appropriate such that the flux between the magnets at any given diameter of the disk is appropriate. I will also need to know what the flux is at a given distance away from the pole of the magnet.

I would appreciate it if any formulas are provided, that you tell me how you got it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems relatively simple but I can't picture what your talking about... draw a picture in mspaint or similar maybe?

Also, what is the strength of the magnets? What kind of magnet?

Here is the wiki on magnetic fields: 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_field'
That includes the equations you are going to need to use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an on-line calculator for magnetic fields from neodymium magnets:
http://www.arnoldmagnetics.com/mtc/calc_gauss_cyl.htm
This field calculator is most accurate if there are no other magnets, steel, or current-carrying coils in the vicinity.

Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
I need to use the formulas. None of the five online calculators that I have found agree, and also, I will need to graph the field density at an angle from the poles. I want to make a graph of the field. Picture a Round (coin shaped) magnet on a table of steel. The coils will pass from the extereme "left" of the magnet. (no field present), over the top of the magnet, (center of field), and then to the extereme right. (no field present). I need to place the next magnet such that the field from the first magnet ends exactly where the field from the second magnet begins. Hope this helps. I am assuming that cos might account for the angle?? Hope this helps clarify what I am looking for.

keith03 said:
I need to place the next magnet such that the field from the first magnet ends exactly where the field from the second magnet begins. Hope this helps.
Surely there’s not a particular point where the field of the first magnet “ends”?
If you place 2 of your magnets, similar poles up, at a certain distance apart then there will be a zero field at a very small midpoint region.

To get an idea of this field first measure it. I’m using a very cheap probe (A1302 Allegro) which will output 1.3mVolt/Gauss. But whatever you are using, detecting zero field when measuring a single magnet will only indicate the sensitivity of your measuring device. The more sensitive your probe the further apart you will find some magnetic field.

Although effective, I need the calculated portion to relate to a prototype. I am using extreme examples in my last post to get a point of what I trying to describe across. I will determine when the field is at a unusable point. let's call that "0" It could be 1800 gauss. I just need to get a good idea of what I am even working with. That is where this calculation comes in. I don't want to spend any more money on tools. There has to be a way to calculate this.

1. What is the formula for calculating magnetic field?

The formula for calculating magnetic field is B = μ0 * (I / 2πr), where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

2. How do you calculate the direction of the magnetic field?

To calculate the direction of the magnetic field, use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What units are used to measure magnetic field?

Magnetic field is typically measured in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G). 1 Tesla is equal to 10,000 Gauss.

4. How does the shape of a current-carrying wire affect the magnetic field?

The shape of a current-carrying wire does not affect the magnetic field strength, but it can affect the direction of the magnetic field. A straight wire will have a circular magnetic field around it, while a looped wire will have a more concentrated field inside the loop.

5. Can the magnetic field be shielded or blocked?

Yes, it is possible to shield or block a magnetic field using certain materials such as iron or steel. These materials have high magnetic permeability, which means they can redirect the magnetic field lines and reduce its strength. However, no material can completely block a magnetic field.