Use an augmented matrix to prove

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the coefficients, a,b,c of y=ax^2+bx+c are a solution of the system of linear equations whose augmented matrix is \begin{pmatrix} x_1^{2} & x_1 & 1 & y_1 \\ x_2^{2} & x_2 & 1 & y_2 \\ x_3^{2} & x_3 & 1 & y_3 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}a\\b\\c\\ \end{pmatrix}
John O' Meara
Hi,
I have just started teaching linear algebra to myself. I know nothing about linear algebra so if this question seems simple please bare with me.
What do I do to show that the coefficients, a,b, and c of y=ax^2+bx+c are a solution of the system of linear equations whose augmented matrix is
[tex] \begin{pmatrix}
x_1^{2} & x_1 & 1 & y_1 \\
x_2^{2} & x_2 & 1 & y_2 \\
x_3^{2} & x_3 & 1 &y_3 \end{pmatrix} [/tex]

Where the points (x1,y1), (x2,y2) and (x3,y3) are three separate points on the curve y. As a matter of fact I am trying to envisage the three linear equations and how they are related to the curve y. Thanks. The title is not accurate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it'll be more clear to look at the non-augmented system first
[tex] \begin{pmatrix}
x_1^{2} & x_1 & 1 \\
x_2^{2} & x_2 & 1 \\
x_3^{2} & x_3 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
\begin{pmatrix}
a\\
b\\
c\\ \end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
y_1 \\
y_2 \\
y_3 \end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
Multiply out a row of it, symbolically, and you can see you're expressing that curve equation y=ax^2+bx+c in matrix form, except with x,y as fixed values and a,b,c as free variables.

So, any a,b,c which satisfies the first row must correspond to a curve going through your first point, (x1,y1). Likewise with the second row for the second point, and third row for third point.

I am only 6 pages into the linear algebra book, it started off with linear equations and an augmented matrix, it has not said anything up to that on any other type of matrix or how to multiply a matrix. I can now see from your reply how the expression for the curve y=ax^2+bx+c in matric form arises, just muliply each row's element by a,b,c respectively. However I still do not 'get' the augmented matrix. Thanks for replying.

The augmented matrix is just a different notation for writing a matrix equation like Ax=b -- smoosh A and b together, and you have the augmented matrix representing Ax=b. This notation is convenient for algorithms like Gaussian elimination, but conceptually I find it nicer to look at the non-augmented form.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to teach yourself linear algebra! It's a complex and important subject, and I'm happy to help you with this problem.

To prove that the coefficients a, b, and c of y = ax^2 + bx + c are a solution of the system of linear equations, we can use the augmented matrix provided. The first three columns of the matrix represent the coefficients of x^2, x, and the constant term, respectively. The last column represents the y-values at the points (x1,y1), (x2,y2), and (x3,y3).

To start, let's substitute the values for a, b, and c into the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c. We get:

y1 = a(x1)^2 + b(x1) + c
y2 = a(x2)^2 + b(x2) + c
y3 = a(x3)^2 + b(x3) + c

Now, we can rearrange these equations to match the form of the augmented matrix:

a(x1)^2 + b(x1) + c - y1 = 0
a(x2)^2 + b(x2) + c - y2 = 0
a(x3)^2 + b(x3) + c - y3 = 0

Notice that these equations match the first three rows of the augmented matrix. This means that if we plug in the values for a, b, and c into the matrix, we will get a matrix with all zeros in the last column. This is because the equations are satisfied by the values of a, b, and c, and therefore, the points (x1,y1), (x2,y2), and (x3,y3) lie on the curve y = ax^2 + bx + c.

So, to prove that the coefficients a, b, and c are a solution of the system of linear equations, we simply need to show that the last column of the augmented matrix becomes all zeros when we substitute in the values for a, b, and c. This can be done by row operations on the matrix, such as multiplying a row by a constant or adding/subtracting rows.

I hope this helps clarify how the augmented matrix is related to the curve y = ax^2 + bx + c. Keep up the good work with learning linear algebra!

What is an augmented matrix?

An augmented matrix is a rectangular array of numbers representing a system of linear equations. It includes both the coefficients and constants of the equations, with a vertical line separating them.

How do you use an augmented matrix to prove a system of equations?

To use an augmented matrix to prove a system of equations, you can perform row operations on the matrix to simplify it into a form where each equation represents a single variable. If the resulting matrix has a row of all zeroes except for the last column, then the system is inconsistent and has no solution. If the last column is also all zeroes, then the system is consistent and has infinitely many solutions. If there are no all-zero rows, then the system has a unique solution.

Why is using an augmented matrix helpful in proving a system of equations?

Using an augmented matrix allows you to easily apply row operations to a system of equations, making it easier to solve and prove. It also helps to identify inconsistent and consistent systems, as well as systems with unique solutions and infinitely many solutions.

Can an augmented matrix be used to solve any type of system of equations?

Yes, an augmented matrix can be used to solve any system of linear equations. However, it is not as useful for non-linear systems, as they cannot be easily reduced to a single variable per equation form.

What are some common row operations used when using an augmented matrix to prove a system of equations?

The most common row operations used are elementary row operations, including multiplying a row by a constant, swapping two rows, and adding a multiple of one row to another. These operations do not change the solution set of the system, making them useful for simplifying and solving systems of equations.