Fluid Mechanics - Pipe Flow

In summary, the conversation discusses the flow of water in a pipe from point A to point B, where the pipe tapers in diameter from 160mm to 80mm over a certain length and point A is 3m above point B. The pressure at point A is 100kPa and at point B is 20kPa, both measured above atmospheric pressure. The flow rate is 4m3min-1 and is in the direction from A to B. To find the pressure loss between points A and B, the velocity at both points is calculated using the equation Q=Au and then used in Bernoulli's equation. The value for the head lost is 2.26m. It is unclear if gauge
partech
1. Water is flowing in a pipe from a tank to a nozzle. At some point (A) the pipe tapers from 160 mm diameter to 80 mm at point B over a certain length. Point A is 3 m above point B. The pressure at A is 100kPa and at B is 20kPa, both measured above the atmospheric pressure. The flow rate is 4m3min-1, and is in the direction from A to B.

Find the loss of pressure between A and B and express it as (i) head of water, (ii) gauge pressure and (iii) absolute pressure.

2. using the following equations:
Q=Au
to calculate the velocity at points A and B
Bernoulli’s equation

3. i first calculated the velocity at point A and B. Usings these in Bernoulli's equation to find head lost. Value = 2.26m
This is where i not sure gauge pressure would it be simply one take away the other. The take into account atmospheric pressure for the absolute pressure?

Many thanks for any help just to point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is some more information to show i have attempted the question. Please see attachments for calculations.
• Da=160mm Aa=0.0201m2
• Db=80mm Ab=5.0265x10-3m2
• Za = 3m
• Zb = 0m (Lowest Point Datum)
• Pa=100kPa
• Pb=20kPa
• Q = 4m3min-1 = 1/15 m3s-1
• Direction A to B

If you could please view and advise me on if this is correct or where i have gone wrong it would be most greatful. I am still not sure about the atmospheric and gauge pressure would this be the same pressure loss?

Many Thanks

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 435
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 446

1. What is pipe flow?

Pipe flow is the movement of a fluid through a pipe or channel, typically driven by a difference in pressure or elevation.

2. What factors affect pipe flow?

The factors that affect pipe flow include the fluid properties (such as viscosity and density), the pipe geometry (such as diameter and roughness), and the flow conditions (such as velocity and pressure).

3. How is the flow rate in a pipe determined?

The flow rate in a pipe is determined by several factors, including the pressure difference between the two ends of the pipe, the pipe diameter, and the properties of the fluid. It can be calculated using equations such as the Bernoulli's equation or the continuity equation.

4. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is a smooth and orderly flow of a fluid, where the particles move in parallel layers, while turbulent flow is a chaotic and irregular flow, where the particles mix and swirl in various directions. The transition from laminar to turbulent flow is determined by the Reynolds number, which depends on the fluid properties and flow conditions.

5. How is the pressure drop in a pipe calculated?

The pressure drop in a pipe can be calculated using the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account the fluid properties, pipe geometry, and flow conditions. It can also be estimated using empirical equations or by conducting experiments.