Integrate Factor Diff. Equation | Step-by-Step Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of integrating factors in solving differential equations and how to check the solutions for accuracy. The conversation also includes a demonstration of finding and correcting a mistake in the solution.
james.farrow
Integrating factor!

As promised I'm back with integrating factor differential equation.(x^2 + 1)dy/dx -2xy = 2x(x^2+1) y(0)=1

First put into standard from by dividing thru by (x^2 +1 )dy/dx -2xy/(x^2 + 1) = 2x

Integrating factor is given by exp( integral of -2x(x^2 + 1))

After some working out I get the IF to be 1/(x^2 + 1)

Now the solution is given by

y(x)=1/IF(integral of 2x(x^2 + 1)

Hopefully I'm on the right track so far...

After doing the integration by parts and some tidying up I have

y(x)= (x^2 + 1){(2(x^2 + 1)x^3)/3 - 4x^5/15} + C

After plugging in the values I have 1=C

What do you think??

Physics news on Phys.org

On checking my work I think I've mad a mistake

the equation should be

y(x) = 1/IF{integral of 2x/(x^2 + 1)}

Which makes it different...

My final revised answer is

y(x) = (x^2 + 1)(ln{x^2 + 1}) + C

After plugging in values y(0)=1

I have y(x)=(x^2 + 1)(ln{x^2 + 1}) + 1

Cheers!

That's almost right. Did you try plugging it back into the original equation to see if it worked?

I haven't and I'm not really sure how to do it or what you mean! Forgive my ignorance but can you show me...

James

You have your differential equation back in your original post in this thread. In post 2 you have a solution, y(x)=(x^2 + 1)(ln{x^2 + 1}) + 1.

Does this function satisfy the initial condition? I.e., is y(0) = 1?
Does this function satisfy the differential equation? I.e., if you replace y and dy/dx in the differential equation with the function above and its derivative, do you get a true statement in this equation: (x^2 + 1)dy/dx -2xy = 2x(x^2+1)?

You should always check your solutions to differential equations.

Yes my solution satisfies condition y(0)=1

So I now need to differntiate my solution and substitute back into the equation? I'm not sure I get what you mean sorry? Bear in mind I'm trying to learn this...! lol

James

Yes, that's what I mean. Take the derivative of your solution. Multiply it (the derivative) by (x^2 + 1). Subtract 2x times your solution. If you get 2x(x^2 + 1), your solution satisifies the DE.

I don't! After doing what you said I arrive at (x^2 + 1) - 1

Which is x^2.

So my solution is wrong?

Yes, it's wrong. That's what vela was suggesting that you do back in post #3. Now that you know you have a mistake, go back and take another look at your work and see if you can spot an error.

Thanks for your help Mark, I've been over my solution several times but always get the same - and its worng? I just can't see where I've gone wrong...
Is it my integrating factor?
James

Hint: Your mistake has to do with when you introduced the constant of integration.

Hmmm I'm not sure, but at a guess should it be ln(C) not just C ??

Hold on! I think I may have it...?

I should have multiplied at all by 1/IF making my constant thus

C(x^2 + 1)

Or am I way off again...

James

Yup, that's it. You can, of course, check your answer by plugging it back into the original differential equation.

Thanks for your help everyone, my revised solution works! I've learned a lot, your gentle pointers eventually made the penny drop.

At least now I know how to check my solutions!

Thanks again.

James

P.S

I'll be moving onto 2nd order differential equations next and looking forward to your help again...

1. What is an integrate factor differential equation?

An integrate factor differential equation is a type of first-order differential equation that can be solved by using an integrate factor. This factor is a function that is multiplied to both sides of the equation in order to make it easier to solve.

2. How do I determine the integrate factor for a given differential equation?

The integrate factor for a differential equation can be determined by finding the coefficient of the highest-order derivative term and taking the exponential of its integral. This will give you the integrate factor, which can then be used to solve the equation.

3. What are the steps to solving a differential equation using integrate factor?

The steps to solving a differential equation using integrate factor are as follows:

1. Identify the differential equation and determine the integrate factor.
  2. Multiply both sides of the equation by the integrate factor.
  3. Use the product rule to expand the left side of the equation.
  4. Integrate both sides of the equation.
  5. Solve for the constant of integration.
  6. Solve for the original variable.

4. Can any differential equation be solved using integrate factor?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using integrate factor. This method only works for first-order differential equations that are in the form of y' + P(x)y = Q(x).

5. Are there any limitations to using integrate factor to solve differential equations?

One limitation of using integrate factor is that it can only be used to solve linear differential equations. Additionally, the integrate factor must be a continuous function on the interval of interest for the solution to be valid.