How Do You Find the Argument of the Sum of Two Complex Numbers?

In summary, Korican04 was explaining that it is easier to find the argument of a complex number z1+z2 if z1 and z2 are in rectangular form, and then add the components.
Mentallic
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

If given two complex numbers z1 and z2 that have arguments [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex], and moduli r and R respectively, then find an expression for the mod-arg form of z1+z2

Homework Equations

[tex]z=x+iy=re^{i\theta}=rcis\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to find a way to relate z1+z2 since I would need to somehow combine the trigonometry terms of:
[tex]z_1+z_2=rcis\theta+Rcis\phi=rcos\theta+Rcos\phi+i(rsin\theta+Rsin\phi)[/tex]

In a similar fashion, [tex]z_1z_2=rcis\theta.Rcis\phi=rRcis(\theta+\phi)[/tex] which does have a relationship. Can I do anything to that equation to find the argument of the new complex number z1+z2?

I'm aware that I can convert both complex numbers into x+iy form and then go from there and also if there are some simple values for r and R, such as r=R then the [itex]arg(z_1+z_2)=(\theta+\phi)/2[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
When you add complex numbers it is the same as adding 2d vectors.
so your
radius = sqrt[ (x1+x2)^2 + (y1+y2)^2]
angle = tan-1 [(y1+y2)/(x1+x2)]

x=radius*cos (angle)
y=radius*sin(angle)

After some expansion and trig formulas
r= sqrt[r^2 + R^2 + 2rRcos(theta-phi)]
angle=tan-1[ rsin(theta)+Rsin(phi) / rcos(theta) + Rsin(phi)

Seems like it would be a lot easier to convert the two complex numbers to rectangular form, and then add components, then convert the sum back to polar form. It might be that's what korican04 was saying...

Korican04, the final result you obtain doesn't help my situation. Thanks for the attempt though :smile:

Mark, the reason why I wanted to avoid converting to rectangular form is because when I was helping someone with a question which required to find arg(z1+z2) where z1 and z2 were some known complex numbers which I don't remember right now, the answer turned out to be [itex]3\pi/8[/itex] and both me and the guy I was helping haven't been taught to easily recognize the number [itex]x=tan(3\pi/8)[/itex].

1. What are complex number arguments?

Complex number arguments are values that are used to describe the direction or angle of a complex number on the complex plane. They are typically represented in the form of theta (θ) and are measured in radians.

2. How are complex number arguments calculated?

To calculate the argument of a complex number, you can use the inverse tangent function (tan^-1) of the imaginary part divided by the real part. This will give you the value of theta (θ) in radians.

3. What is the range of complex number arguments?

The range of complex number arguments is between -π and π (inclusive). This means that the values of theta (θ) can range from -180 degrees to 180 degrees.

4. Can complex number arguments be negative?

Yes, complex number arguments can be negative. This occurs when the complex number is located in the lower half of the complex plane, where the argument is measured in the clockwise direction from the positive real axis.

5. How are complex number arguments used in real-world applications?

Complex number arguments are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics to describe the direction or phase of signals, rotations, and oscillations. They are also used in electrical engineering to analyze AC circuits and in quantum mechanics to describe wave functions.