Calculating the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal

In summary, the problem is to determine the magnitude of the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal with its [100] direction parallel to the loading axis. The Schmid factor is calculated using the equation for resolved shear stress, which includes the term cos(\phi)*cos(\lambda). The slip planes for an FCC single crystal are the four {111} planes, and the slip directions are the three <110> directions inside each of the {111} planes. To solve for the angles \phi and \lambda, the author used the equations Cos^{-1}((1*1+1*0+1*0)/\sqrt{(1^2+1^2+1^2)*(1^2)}) and \pi
jbrown110
The problem said:
"Determine the magnitude of the Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal oriented with its [100] direction parallel to the loading axis. "

The Schmid factor is the

"cos([tex]\phi[/tex])*cos([tex]\lambda[/tex])"

term in the equation for resolved shear stress.

I know that the slip planes for an FCC single crystal are the four {111} planes, and the slip directions are the three <110> directions inside each of the {111} planes.

To solve for [tex]\phi[/tex], the angle between the <111> direction and the loading direction, <100>, I said that it was equal to

Cos[tex]^{-1}[/tex]((1*1+1*0+1*0)/[tex]\sqrt{(1^2+1^2+1^2)*(1^2)}[/tex])

That comes out to 1/[tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex]

And using the same equation, I found that [tex]\lambda[/tex], the angle between the loading direction, <100>, and the slip direction, <01-1>, is [tex]\pi[/tex]/2

Multiplying [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\lambda[/tex] should have given me the schmid factor, according to my textbook, but I couldn't get the right answer.

The answer is .408, but I kept getting something different and I'm not sure why. If some one could explain this to me, I would be very grateful. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jbrown110, welcome to PF. Your slip direction doesn't lie within your slip plane. You're going to have a hard time obtaining slip that way. :smile:

So, basically I picked the one direction that doesn't work for the [111] plane. haha

I reworked it with the other two possible slip directions and they both gave the right answer.

Thanks for the reply.

You're welcome!

What is the Schmid factor?

The Schmid factor is a measure of the ease with which a crystal can slip on a particular plane and in a particular direction. It is used to determine the most likely slip system for a given crystal structure.

How is the Schmid factor calculated for an FCC single crystal?

The Schmid factor for an FCC single crystal is calculated by taking the dot product of the slip direction and the slip plane normal, and dividing it by the magnitude of the slip direction times the magnitude of the slip plane normal.

What is the significance of the Schmid factor in materials science?

The Schmid factor is an important parameter in understanding the mechanical behavior of materials. It helps determine the critical resolved shear stress, which is the stress required for a crystal to undergo plastic deformation.

Can the Schmid factor be larger than 1?

No, the Schmid factor is always between 0 and 1. A value of 1 indicates that the slip direction and slip plane are perfectly aligned for slip to occur, while a value of 0 means there is no slip present.

How does the Schmid factor differ for different crystal systems?

The calculation of the Schmid factor is specific to a particular crystal structure. The direction and plane for slip may vary for different crystal systems, resulting in different values for the Schmid factor.