Shark Steam Mop: 3 Mo. Experience & Tips

• Thread starter ignoramus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of a steam mop in cleaning different types of floors and the difficulty of changing mopheads. The participants also question whether steam is as effective as using a cleanser and express concerns about using steam on wood floors. Some suggest using distilled water and a homemade floor cleanser to avoid chemicals. Overall, there is interest in the convenience of a steam mop but skepticism about its cleaning ability.
ignoramus1
I bought the latest model 3 months ago. It cleans all of my floors (wood, tile, vinyl) quite well.

Main problem I have with this mop is that changing mopheads (e.g., the one for all floors vs. the one for wood floors) is nowhere as easy as shown on the infomercial--you need to have very strong hands. And unless you wait till the mop has cooled off, removing a mophead results in being scalded by hot water drips.

Also, it's a good idea to use distilled water, as regular water may leave streaks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do they work as well as advertised, though?

Not sure of the brand, but Tsu loves her steam mop. However, I'm not convinced and will eventually do a "water and soap vs steam test". Not that it will matter... :biggrin:

If you do do one, Ivan, would post results, please? I can't seem to wrap my mind around the idea that steam would make surfaces as "clean" as using a cleanser. And the floor cleanser I use is baking soda and vinegar because I don't want Bean walking across a damp floor with chemicals on it and then licking her paws. It nevertheless strikes me that by adding something to the hot water I use is a superior situation. However, the steam mop looks fantastically quick and easy. It's tempting.

The steam is probably good at making it look clean, because it would help cut grease better than water alone. But, yeah, not sure it would be superior to using a detergent of some sort. I'd be worried about using steam on wood floors. That would seem rather damaging.

1. What is a Shark Steam Mop and how does it work?

A Shark Steam Mop is a cleaning device that uses steam to sanitize and remove dirt and grime from hard floors. It works by heating up water and turning it into steam, which is then released through a mop head to loosen and dissolve dirt, and a microfiber pad to pick it up.

2. Is the Shark Steam Mop safe to use on all types of flooring?

Yes, the Shark Steam Mop is safe to use on most hard flooring surfaces, including hardwood, tile, laminate, and vinyl. However, it is not recommended for use on unsealed wood or unglazed ceramic floors as the steam can damage the finish.

3. How often should I replace the microfiber pads on my Shark Steam Mop?

It is recommended to replace the microfiber pads on your Shark Steam Mop every 3-6 months, depending on usage. If the pads become too dirty or worn, they will not effectively pick up dirt and can leave streaks on your floors.

4. Can I add cleaning solutions or chemicals to the water tank of my Shark Steam Mop?

No, it is not recommended to add any cleaning solutions or chemicals to the water tank of your Shark Steam Mop. The steam alone is enough to effectively clean and sanitize your floors. Adding chemicals can potentially damage the mop and may not be safe for your floors.

5. How do I properly maintain and store my Shark Steam Mop?

To maintain your Shark Steam Mop, it is important to regularly clean the mop head and microfiber pads, and to empty and rinse the water tank after each use. It is also recommended to store the mop in a cool, dry place with the microfiber pad removed to prevent mildew or mold growth. Additionally, it is important to regularly descale the mop if you have hard water to prevent mineral build-up and ensure optimal performance.