Rotating loop in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discusses a single-turn rectangular wire loop rotating at a uniform rate around the z-axis with a uniform magnetic field in the +y-direction. The loop has a resistance of 36 Ω and an induced rms current of 0.04 A. The goal is to determine the strength of the magnetic field B. To do so, the equation for Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction can be used, with the magnetic flux Φ as the unknown variable. The peak voltage V0 can also be found by multiplying the rms voltage Vrms with a constant.
Tekee

Homework Statement

A single-turn rectangular wire loop of size 20 cm × 30 cm rotates at a uniform rate of ω = 50 rad/sec around the z-axis as shown. There is a uniform magnetic field B in the +y-direction. The loop has a total resistance of R = 36 Ω.

If the induced rms current in the loop is 0.04 A, what is the strength of the magnetic field B?

Homework Equations

Unsure

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure that the V will be .04 x 36, or 1.44 Amps. I know that there is probably an equation I can use where I can plug in emf, w, B, and A, although I have no idea what that is...

Physics news on Phys.org
Tekee;2621503 [h2 said:
The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]

I figure that the V will be .04 x 36, or 1.44 Amps. I know that there is probably an equation I can use where I can plug in emf, w, B, and A, although I have no idea what that is...

Multiplying 0.04 and 36 will give you the rms voltage. You want the peak voltage. How does the peak voltage 'V0' relate to the rms voltage 'Vrms'?

To get 'B', recall Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. What would be the expression for the magnetic flux Φ?

1. What is a rotating loop in a magnetic field?

A rotating loop in a magnetic field is a physical setup where a conducting loop is placed in a magnetic field and is allowed to rotate. This creates a changing magnetic flux through the loop, which induces an electrical current in the loop according to Faraday's law of induction.

2. How does a rotating loop in a magnetic field work?

A rotating loop in a magnetic field works by converting mechanical energy (rotation) into electrical energy (current). As the loop rotates, the magnetic flux through the loop changes, which creates an electric field that drives charges (electrons) to flow through the loop, generating a current.

3. What is the purpose of a rotating loop in a magnetic field?

The purpose of a rotating loop in a magnetic field is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism, specifically Faraday's law of induction. This setup is often used in science demonstrations and experiments to illustrate how mechanical energy can be converted into electrical energy.

4. How is the direction of the induced current determined in a rotating loop in a magnetic field?

The direction of the induced current in a rotating loop in a magnetic field is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand point in the direction of the magnetic field and the thumb points in the direction of rotation, then the direction of the induced current in the loop will be perpendicular to both the magnetic field and the rotation.

5. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced current in a rotating loop in a magnetic field?

The magnitude of the induced current in a rotating loop in a magnetic field is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the size of the loop, the rate of rotation, and the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the loop. The greater these factors, the greater the induced current will be.