Beta functions and the energy-momentum tensor

In summary, Polchinski's string theory text asserts that the trace of the energy-momentum tensor of a classically scale-invariant theory is proportional to the beta function of the coupling in the quantum theory. This connection is intuitively logical but a reference is needed to demonstrate it more precisely. This proportionality also extends to non-conformal theories, such as the Yang Mills coupling, and can be determined through mathematical expressions and Kaluza-Klein models. However, this summary is based on limited understanding and corrections are welcome.
muppet
Hi all,

In Polchinski's string theory text he asserts (volume 1, section 3.4) that the trace of the energy-momentum tensor of a classically scale -invariant theory becomes proportional in the quantum theory to the beta function of the coupling, as a general point of QFT. This makes a kind of intuitive sense, but does anyone know of a reference that demonstrates the proportionality more precisely?

Can I also ask if anyone is aware of a similar connection in general between the trace of the energy-momentum tensor and the beta function of an arbitrary (i.e. non-conformal) theory?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I presume from what I've just read of the OP - ( and I'm no string theorist, so correct me if i am wrong) - to be related to the Yang Mills coupling - if my memory serves me correctly.

Such work leads to mathematical expressions of quantum contributions to the beta function. The proportionality for instance, where [itex]T_{\mu}^{\mu}[/itex] is the momentum energy tensor and with the Kaluza-Klein models of particles, after much math i cannot be bothered to write, can determine coupling constants.

As i said, I'm not a string theorist, so anyone who see's a mistake in that, please correct me.

1. What is the purpose of the beta function in physics?

The beta function is a mathematical tool used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of a system under the influence of different energy scales. It is particularly useful in quantum field theory, where it helps to calculate how a physical quantity, such as coupling constants, changes as the energy scale of the system is varied.

2. How is the beta function related to renormalization?

The beta function plays a crucial role in the process of renormalization, which is used to remove the infinities that arise in calculations in quantum field theory. The beta function determines the rate at which the coupling constants change as the energy scale is varied, and this information is essential in renormalizing a theory to make it finite and physically meaningful.

3. How does the beta function relate to the running of coupling constants?

The beta function is directly related to the running of coupling constants, which describes how the strength of interactions changes with energy scale. The beta function can be used to calculate the running of coupling constants by solving a differential equation known as the Renormalization Group Equation.

4. What is the energy-momentum tensor and why is it important?

The energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical object that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in a physical system. It is an important quantity in general relativity, where it is used to describe the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of matter and energy. It is also essential in quantum field theory, where it plays a crucial role in the calculation of physical quantities and the study of particle interactions.

5. How are the beta function and energy-momentum tensor related?

The beta function and energy-momentum tensor are related through the trace anomaly, which is a phenomenon in quantum field theory where the trace of the energy-momentum tensor does not vanish even in the absence of external sources. This anomaly can be expressed in terms of the beta function, providing a connection between the two concepts.