What ACTUALLY causes a magnetic field to be generated when there is a current?

In summary, Feynman argues that the "why" questions are complex and ultimately beyond our understanding.
I wish to Quote the multipole theorem, from what brainstorm has said,
thenet mag. field is the result of multiple "multipoles" self aligning in a certain direction causing this "magnetic field" due to moving sets of multipoles and think of it thi way,
suppose u keep an electron near the wire and can deterministcally(just assume) find where it is, u see that it moives with a certain velocity/acceleration now follow the elctron in a fromwhere you see its at rest, what do you see..?
the electrons motion is normal to the wire..which directly implies a "fast moving" electric field which on applying correct frame transforms you will see as the one proposed by biot savart law.
anyone agree...?

Physics news on Phys.org
vaibhav1803 said:
the electrons motion is normal to the wire..which directly implies a "fast moving" electric field which on applying correct frame transforms you will see as the one proposed by biot savart law.
anyone agree...?

What does "normal to the wire" mean? What does "fast moving" mean? In contrast with "slow moving?"

the reply isn't genuine its just a theory I am proposing, i am yet to get down to the transform equations(just out of high school need some time)
normal to wire as in if u released an electron u kept beside the wire, you would observe that the e- in a complex way moves towards the wire, but if u move in a reference frame attached to the electron you see that the motion is only approaching the wire(normal/perpendicular to its length), due to a force occurring as a combined effect of various microfields in the wire which when correctly transformed gives you the magnetic force. that's what i propose

vaibhav1803 said:
I wish to Quote the multipole theorem, from what brainstorm has said,
thenet mag. field is the result of multiple "multipoles" self aligning in a certain direction causing this "magnetic field" due to moving sets of multipoles and think of it thi way,
suppose u keep an electron near the wire and can deterministcally(just assume) find where it is, u see that it moives with a certain velocity/acceleration now follow the elctron in a fromwhere you see its at rest, what do you see..?
anyone agree...?

"u" "thi" "deterministcally" "elctron" "fromwhere" "moives" "thenet" "mag." all crop up in my spellchecker as incorrect. I actually cannot read this.

In a reference frame in which the electron is at rest, it doesn't move normal to the wire. It is at rest, by definition. Electric fields don't move. If you're going to quote a theorem, it should be a well-known one. A search for "multipole theorem" in google returns about 19 results, this thread is the third one.

I don't want to put you off doing physics or contributing to this board, but please run your posts through a spellchecker and read over them before submitting them. There's an edit button too in case you make a mistake and notice it later.

vaibhav1803 said:
the reply isn't genuine its just a theory I am proposing, i am yet to get down to the transform equations(just out of high school need some time)
normal to wire as in if u released an electron u kept beside the wire, you would observe that the e- in a complex way moves towards the wire, but if u move in a reference frame attached to the electron you see that the motion is only approaching the wire(normal/perpendicular to its length), due to a force occurring as a combined effect of various microfields in the wire which when correctly transformed gives you the magnetic force. that's what i propose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_transformation#Special_relativity said:
Lorentz transformations can also be used to prove that magnetic and electric fields are simply different aspects of the same force — the electromagnetic force. If we have one charge or a collection of charges which are all stationary with respect to each other, we can observe the system in a frame in which there is no motion of the charges. In this frame, there is only an "electric field". If we switch to a moving frame, the Lorentz transformation will predict that a "magnetic field" is present. This field was initially unified in Maxwell's concept of the "electromagnetic field".

The theory I think you're driving at has already been proposed by Maxwell and taken further by Einstein. You should take a look at them both (maxwell's equations and einstein's special relativity), since they're both incredible feats of the mind; really inspirational.

DeShark said:
"u" "thi" "deterministcally" "elctron" "fromwhere" "moives" "thenet" "mag." all crop up in my spellchecker as incorrect. I actually cannot read this.

In a reference frame in which the electron is at rest, it doesn't move normal to the wire. It is at rest, by definition. Electric fields don't move. If you're going to quote a theorem, it should be a well-known one. A search for "multipole theorem" in google returns about 19 results, this thread is the third one.

I don't want to put you off doing physics or contributing to this board, but please run your posts through a spellchecker and read over them before submitting them. There's an edit button too in case you make a mistake and notice it later.

Ah yes, my apologies ,its that i get a bit excited when a of ideas cross my mind(which it did in this thread), which shows up as you tried to read, spellchecker, well let me handle that part,
well the "multipole theorem" is just an idea I am proposing of how to think of the beginning of a mag. field, nothing more nothing less, that instead of 1e- roaming around we have packets of e- buzzing within the wire,im still workin on the math, no I'm not going to see any papers till i really need them, i usually don't refer to the literature, becuse its cheating in the game that i play.
as far the reference frame goes, don't be so skeptical, it was meant to be said the the wire approaches the e- normal to its own length.
as far as putting me off physics goes, fella u can't even come close to it, science the love of my life, and better not mess in that area.

incase you sincerely can't figure out, e- is being use to replace electron in writing, i don't hope u need this. X}

Last edited:
Here's a question for you: Why is there SOMETHING and not NOTHING? Think about it!

<h2>1. What is the source of a magnetic field in a current?</h2><p>The source of a magnetic field in a current is the movement of charged particles, specifically electrons, in the current. When these charged particles move, they create a magnetic field around them.</p><h2>2. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field?</h2><p>The direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field. The right-hand rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.</p><h2>3. Can a magnetic field be generated without a current?</h2><p>Yes, a magnetic field can be generated without a current. This is known as a permanent magnet, where the atoms in the material are already aligned in a way that creates a magnetic field.</p><h2>4. How does the strength of the current affect the strength of the magnetic field?</h2><p>The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases.</p><h2>5. What factors can affect the strength of a magnetic field in a current?</h2><p>The strength of a magnetic field in a current can be affected by the number of charged particles in the current, the speed at which they are moving, and the distance from the current at which the magnetic field is being measured.</p>

1. What is the source of a magnetic field in a current?

The source of a magnetic field in a current is the movement of charged particles, specifically electrons, in the current. When these charged particles move, they create a magnetic field around them.

2. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field?

The direction of the current determines the direction of the magnetic field. The right-hand rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

3. Can a magnetic field be generated without a current?

Yes, a magnetic field can be generated without a current. This is known as a permanent magnet, where the atoms in the material are already aligned in a way that creates a magnetic field.

4. How does the strength of the current affect the strength of the magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that as the current increases, the magnetic field also increases.

5. What factors can affect the strength of a magnetic field in a current?

The strength of a magnetic field in a current can be affected by the number of charged particles in the current, the speed at which they are moving, and the distance from the current at which the magnetic field is being measured.