Integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero.

In summary, the problem is that the product of a Riemann integrable function and a cosine function is Riemann integrable, and that the integral of cosine is sine (+ constant). However, when trying to find a unique integer k such that \frac{2\pi k}{\lambda} \leq (b-a) < \frac{2\pi (k + 1)}{\lambda}, problems arise with negatives multiplying to become positive, etc.
Hoblitz

Homework Statement

The problem is as follows:

Let f be a real valued function that is Riemann integrable on [a,b]. Show that

[tex]

\lim_{\lambda \rightarrow \infty} \int_{a}^{b} f(x)\cos(\lambda x)dx = 0

[/tex].

Homework Equations

I am freely able to use the fact that the product of Riemann integrable functions is Riemann integrable, and that the integral of cosine is sine (+ constant).

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I tried was just to let f be the indicator function on the interval [a,b]. In that case, it wasn't so bad because then I could find [itex] \lambda > 0[/itex] so large that (for given epsilon > 0) [itex] \frac{1}{\lambda} < \frac{1}{2}\epsilon [/itex].

Then for that lambda I can find a unique integer k such that
[tex]
\frac{2\pi k}{\lambda} \leq (b-a) < \frac{2\pi (k + 1)}{\lambda}
[/tex].

Then
[tex]
|\int_{a}^{b} \cos(\lambda x)dx| =

|\int_{a}^{a + \frac{2 \pi k}{\lambda}} \cos(\lambda x) \,dx +

\int_{a + \frac{2\pi k}{\lambda} }^{b} \cos(\lambda x)\,dx|

= |\frac{\sin(b)}{\lambda} - \frac{\sin(a)}{\lambda}|
[/tex]

Finally,
[tex]
|\frac{\sin(b)}{\lambda} - \frac{\sin(a)}{\lambda}| \leq \frac{2}{\lambda} < \epsilon.
[/tex]

From there on it is clear that for [itex] \lambda^{'} > \lambda > 0 [/itex], we are still less than epsilon. (Find a new unique integer as above, and run through the integrals again).

I've been trying to think of a way to apply this fact to the case with general [itex] f [/itex]. What I've tried to do is trap
[tex]
\int_{a}^{b} f(x)\cos(\lambda x)dx
[/tex]
between plus/minus some constant times [itex] \int_{a}^{b} \cos(\lambda x)dx [/itex], where the constant might be something like the max of the absolute values of the supremum and infemum of f over the interval [a,b], but I can't get it work out (problems arise with negatives multiplying to become positive, etc...). Any hints or comments would be very helpful, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a bigger concern should be why f(x) is bounded on that interval (it doesn't have to be)

Indeed I can think a few unbounded functions f which are integrable on an interval [a,b], so I can see why my idea would certainly fail. I'll try looking at this from a new perspective and see what I get. What I understand to be happening is that the rapidly quickening oscillations of cosine are going to force f to "cancel itself out" in the integral, eventually bringing that sucker close to zero...

Thanks, I'll give this more thought.

1. What is the definition of "Integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero"?

The integral of f times cosine, as the period of cosine goes to zero, is a mathematical concept that represents the area under the curve of a function f multiplied by the cosine function, as the period of the cosine function approaches zero.

2. How is the integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero, different from a regular integral?

The main difference is that in this integral, the period of the cosine function is approaching zero, which leads to a different result compared to regular integrals. It also involves a more complex mathematical concept.

3. What factors affect the value of the integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero?

Some factors that can affect the value of this integral include the function f, the period of the cosine function, and the interval over which the integral is being evaluated. Other factors such as the type of integration method used may also have an impact.

4. What are some real-world applications of the integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero?

This concept has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields where the behavior of periodic functions is important. For example, it can be used to analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, vibrations in mechanical systems, and the motion of celestial bodies.

5. How is the integral of f times cosine, as period of cosine goes to zero, related to Fourier analysis?

The integral of f times cosine, as the period of the cosine function goes to zero, is closely related to Fourier analysis. This integral is essentially the inner product of two functions, and the Fourier analysis involves decomposing a function into a sum of sinusoidal functions, which can then be used to calculate this inner product.