Angular velocity and acceleration of a flywheel system

In summary, the angular velocity and angular acceleration of the disk and the link at the instant A rotates through 90 degrees is 3.311 ft/s and -1.302 rad/s, respectively.
faust9
Ok, did I do this correctly?

The question goes:

Determine the angular velocity and angular acceleration of the disk and the link AB at the instant A rotates through 90 degrees.

See attachment for the figure.

What I did--first the disk:

Assuming [itex]\alpha_{disk}[/itex] is constant
[tex]
\alpha_{disk}=\alpha_0=\alpha_{90}=6\frac{rad}{s^2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\omega_{90}^2=\omega_{0}^2+2\alpha(\theta_{90}-\theta_{0})
[/tex]

[tex]
\omega_{90}=\sqrt{(5\frac{rad}{s})^2+2(6\frac{rad}{s^2})(\frac{\pi}{2})}=6.622\frac{rad}{s}[/tex]

So, angular velocity of the disk is 6.622 rad/s, and angular acceleration of the disk is 5 rad/s^2.

Now for the link:

[tex]
\vec{v}_A=\vec{ \omega }\times \vec{r}_A
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec{v}_A=\omega(r_A)i=6.622\frac{rad}{s}(0.5\frac{ft}{rad})=3.311\frac{ft}{s}i
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec{v}_B=\vec{v}_A+\vec{ \omega }\times \vec{r}_{B/A}
[/tex]

Used trig to find this:
[tex]
\vec{r}_{B/A}=2\cos 19i+2\sin 19j
[/tex]

[tex]\vec{v}_B=3.311i+\omega(0.652i-1.891j)[/tex]

[tex]
v_bi=3.311i+0.652\omega i
[/tex]
[tex]
v_bj=-1.891\omega j
[/tex]

solve simultaneously and I get:

[tex]
\omega=-1.302\frac{rad}{s}
[/tex]

Is this right thus far?

[edit]forgot picture

Attachments

• question1.jpg
    question1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 544
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting problem. How are you calculating the angular acceleration of the disk? And shouldn't the angular acceleration/velocity of the disk and the link be the same?

e(ho0n3 said:
Interesting problem. How are you calculating the angular acceleration of the disk? And shouldn't the angular acceleration/velocity of the disk and the link be the same?

I'm sorry, [itex]\alpha_{Disk}[/itex] was given. In regards to your second question the answer is no. The angular acceleration of the disk is converted to an angular and translational acceration of the link. The link moves to the right as well as rotates clockwise.

Last edited:
I figured that in the reference frame of the center of mass of the link, the link doesn't move. Therefore, if you take any particle on the link and look at its motion, it is in pure rotation. For example, take the point on the link attached to the wheel. This point is in pure rotation.

[edit]I just realized that what I said doesn't make sense. I was trying to say that the link doesn't rotate, i.e. the angle it makes with the horizontal is constant. You said this wasn't the case so I retract what I said.[/edit]

Last edited:
Anybody?

Can you explain this expression:

[tex]
\vec{v}_B=\vec{v}_A+\vec{ \omega }\times \vec{r}_{B/A}
[/tex]

I'm not sure what you are doing exactly.

Nevermind. I see what your are doing. How did you find out that [itex]\vec{r}_{B/A}[/itex] makes an angle of 19 degrees with the horizontal?

I found the 19'ish degrees using the law of cosines and some vector addition.

First I found vector [itex]\vec{r}_{C/A}[/itex] by using [itex]\vec{r}_{C/A}=\vec{r}_{B/A}+\vec{r}_{C/B}[/itex]

[tex]
\vec{r}_{C/A}=(2\cos 30i+2\sin 30j)+(0i+1.5j)
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec{r}_{C/A}=1.732i+2.5j
[/tex]

Next I rotated A to A' and said [itex]\vec{r}_{C/A}=\vec{r}_{A^\prime/A}+\vec{r}_{C/A^\prime}[/itex] thus [itex]\vec{r}_{C/A^\prime}=\vec{r}_{C/A}+(-\vec{r}_{A^\prime/A})[/itex]

[tex]
\vec{r}_{C/A^\prime}=(1.732i+2.5j)+(-0.5i-0.5j)
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec{r}_{C/A^\prime}=1.232i+2j
[/tex]

Next I found the magnitude of [itex]\vec{r}_{C/A^\prime}[/itex]

[tex]
r_{C/A^\prime}=\parallel\vec{r}_{C/A^\prime}\parallel=2.349
[/tex]

Now, from here I just used the law of cosines to find the angles of triangle A'B'C where A'B'=2 and B'C=1.5 and A'C=2.349.

Next, I found angle [itex]\beta[/itex] which is the angle between A'C and the horizontal axis. To do this I used vector trig to find the angle.

Finally, I subtracted angle CA'B' from angle [itex]\beta[/itex] to get 19'ish degrees.

I'm sure there's a easier way to do this, but this is the route I chose.

Hope I was clear enough.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or revolving around a fixed axis. It is usually represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position (θ) by the change in time (t). This can be expressed as ω = Δθ/Δt. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity (v) by the radius (r) of the object's circular path, expressed as ω = v/r.

3. What factors affect the angular velocity of a flywheel system?

The angular velocity of a flywheel system can be affected by several factors, including the mass and shape of the flywheel, the amount of torque applied, and any external forces acting on the system. Friction and other forms of resistance can also affect the angular velocity of a flywheel system.

4. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate of change of angular velocity over time. It is represented by the symbol α (alpha) and is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s²). It describes how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing.

5. How is angular acceleration related to angular velocity?

Angular acceleration and angular velocity are closely related. Angular acceleration is the derivative of angular velocity with respect to time, meaning it is the rate of change of angular velocity. This can be expressed as α = dω/dt. In simpler terms, angular acceleration describes how quickly the angular velocity of an object is changing at a given moment.