How can I generate electricity with wind power?

• Thread starter cusimar9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary: There are also small wind turbines that are powered by sunlight. In summary, you could try using a fan to generate electricity, or you could buy an alternator and use a belt to drive it. Alternators are available in many sizes.
cusimar9
Hi,

Can anyone explain to me how I can generate a current (to say, light a lightbulb) by wind power?

I have a fan which is spinning and I know it has something to do with a wire and a magnetic field but I don't know how to set the circuit up at all.

Maybe a simple diagram if anyone has a minute spare?

Cheers

Rick

Engineering news on Phys.org
So. You are wanting to make a wind mill generator? Are you intending on using the fan for the wind source, or will this be an outside device?

If the latter, are you intending to use the fan to generate the power?

That could work I suppose, however, it might be tricky to setup. Is it a typical box fan?

Basically, you can get electrical current by either rotation a conductor (the wire) inside a magnet field, or rotation the magnetic field inside of a conductor.

Chances are, your fan has natural magnets on the shaft of the fan blade. When power is turned on, coils of wire become electrically charged, creating an EM field, which repels the natural magnets. Spinning the fan blade should induce some current inside the coils, however it will probably not be that effiecent.

I watched an episode of "Escape from invention(i think) Island" on discovery. They had to build electric rope cars, and transport themselves across a valley.

Anyhow, part of the challenge was building a water wheel to turn an alternator, which would charge the battery. They provide alternators which were regulated at 12v dc, however, you can get alternators which do not.

I would start out by perhaps using an old fan blade, although it was more designed to push air, as opposed to being pushed by air. Find a way to mount a pulley on it, and get yourself an alternator. Hook a belt from the fan pulley to the alternator, find a windy area, and you've got power.

You might find a multimeter usefull, so you can measure the power being produced. Also, while I recommend the buying an alternator, it is not impossible to build your own, just more difficult.

This site will probably help you a bit

http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_wind_tips.html

Thanks!

Where could I get an alternator that small?

Its "Escape from Experiment Island" on the Science and Discovery channel (and DHC or others in their little network of channels). :)

Any DC motor can generate electricity as well. With permanent magnets, its very simple as you just need to spin it to generate electricity.

An alternator needs electricity to generate electricity. And you need not worry about size, there is a regulator that controls how much electricity it makes. An alternator is constructed with a spinning coil and a stationary coil. It needs electricity because you use this electricity to turn the spinning coil into a magnet. The spining magnet then causes electricity to flow in the stationary coil of wire.

If you were lighting just a small light bulb like an automotive dome light, you could take the small DC electric motor from a radio controlled car and add a fan blade to that. From there you could adjust the sizes of the components to get the desired results, most likely a larger fan blade than you would have thought necessary.

Wind isn't typically a steady source of power. The units for sale are generally hooked to a battery charger so it can store the energy in rechargeable batteries.

Cliff

1. What is electricity generation?

Electricity generation is the process of converting various forms of energy into electrical energy. This is usually done through the use of generators which convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

2. What are the different methods of generating electricity?

The most common methods of generating electricity include coal-fired power plants, natural gas power plants, nuclear power plants, hydropower, wind power, and solar power. Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages in terms of cost, efficiency, and environmental impact.

3. How does electricity generation impact the environment?

The impact of electricity generation on the environment varies depending on the method used. Fossil fuel power plants emit greenhouse gases and pollutants that contribute to climate change and air pollution. Hydropower can have negative effects on local ecosystems and wildlife. Renewable energy sources such as wind and solar have minimal environmental impact, but their production and installation can still have some effects on the environment.

4. What is the role of government in electricity generation?

The government plays a critical role in regulating the electricity generation industry. They set standards for emissions and safety, provide incentives for the development of renewable energy, and oversee the distribution and transmission of electricity to ensure reliability and affordability for consumers.

5. What are some future developments in electricity generation?

There are ongoing developments in electricity generation aimed at making it more sustainable and efficient. These include advancements in renewable energy technology, energy storage solutions, and smart grid systems. There is also a growing focus on decentralized electricity generation, where individuals and communities can generate their own electricity using renewable sources.