Applying Vector Cross Product Properties for (AxB).(CxD) Calculation

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the rule \mathbf{A}\times(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C}) = \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C}) - \mathbf{C}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B}) to arrive at the equation (\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})\cdot(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{D}) = (\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C})(\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{D}) - (\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{D})(\mathbf{
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

I am following along in a book and in one line the author asserts that

[tex](\mathbf{A}\times\mathbf{B})\cdot(\mathbf{C}\times\mathbf{D}) = (\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C})(\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{D}) - (\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{D})(\mathbf{B}\cdot\mathbf{C})\qquad(1)[/tex]

Homework Equations

I believe that he is somehow using the rule that

[tex]\mathbf{A}\times(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C}) = \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C}) - \mathbf{C}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B})\qquad(2)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Is this the only rule he is using to arrive at (1) ?
I am having trouble see how to implement this to arrive at the same result. Am I missing something painfully obvious? :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try to do this in terms of components, i.e. using the definition of the cross and dot product? (Didn't try it myself, only suggesting.)

Edit: although it might get a little messy...

Saladsamurai said:

Homework Equations

I believe that he is somehow using the rule that

[tex]\mathbf{A}\times(\mathbf{B}\times\mathbf{C}) = \mathbf{B}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{C}) - \mathbf{C}(\mathbf{A}\cdot\mathbf{B})\qquad(2)[/tex]

I would think they'd use this formula as well as this one

[tex]A\cdot (B \times C) = B \cdot (C \times A) = C \cdot (A \times B) [/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
I would think they'd use this formula as well as this one

[tex]A\cdot (B \times C) = B \cdot (C \times A) = C \cdot (A \times B) [/tex]

Ah yes, totally useful :smile:. Seeing as I have, in essence, a scalar triple product I would be hard pressed to start this without that rule :redface:

I have solved it now.

Thanks again! :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating the dot product of two vectors?

The formula for calculating the dot product of two vectors (AxB).(CxD) is: (Ax)*(Cx) + (Bx)*(Dx) + (Ay)*(Cy) + (By)*(Dy) + (Az)*(Cz) + (Bz)*(Dz)

2. How does the dot product relate to vector multiplication?

The dot product of two vectors is a type of vector multiplication that results in a scalar quantity, rather than a vector. It measures the similarity or perpendicularity of two vectors.

3. What are some applications of the dot product?

The dot product has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. Some examples include calculating work done by a force, finding the angle between two vectors, and determining the similarity between two images.

4. Can the dot product be negative?

Yes, the dot product can be negative. This indicates that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions or are perpendicular to each other.

5. How is the dot product affected by the magnitude and direction of the vectors?

The dot product is affected by both the magnitude and direction of the vectors. The magnitude of the dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them. The direction of the dot product is positive if the two vectors are pointing in the same direction, negative if they are pointing in opposite directions, and zero if they are perpendicular.