Calculating Spherical Harmonics Cuadratic Dispersion

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating quadratic dispersion for quantum systems by expanding x^2 in terms of spherical harmonics using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients or threeJ. The speaker mentions starting from the expansion of x and then calculating x^2 by studying the couplings of the state vectors. They also mention needing help with the correct sum of spherical harmonics.
altered-gravity
Greetings,

I´m calculating cuadratic dispersion of some quantum systems. I need to expand x^2 in terms of spherical harmonics (using Clebsch-Gordan coefficients, or threeJ as well) in order to be able to use Gaunt espression in the integral solving.

I start from the expansion of x as linnear combination of Spherical Harmonics (with Clebsch-Gordan coef.). Then, in order to get x^2, I calculate x*x (studying the couplings of the state vectors term by term) and I get what I need: a sum of Spherical Harmonics (each multiplied by a C-G coef.) but it´s not the correct one!

Could anyone help me? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
wow K-12 got really hard really fast!
sorry, maybe a different forum should be addressed

oops! Excuse me.

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are mathematical functions used to describe the angular dependence of quantum states in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in the study of atomic and molecular systems, as well as in solving problems in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

2. How are spherical harmonics calculated?

The calculation of spherical harmonics involves integrating a complex-valued function over the surface of a sphere. This is typically done using numerical methods such as the Gauss-Legendre quadrature. Alternatively, analytical expressions for the spherical harmonics can be derived using the Laplace equation.

3. What is cuadratic dispersion in relation to spherical harmonics?

Cuadratic dispersion refers to the relationship between the energy and momentum of a particle in a material. In the context of spherical harmonics, it describes the energy levels of a quantum state as a function of its angular momentum and spatial orientation. This can be calculated using the spherical harmonics and the Schrödinger equation.

4. What is the significance of calculating spherical harmonics cuadratic dispersion?

Calculating spherical harmonics cuadratic dispersion allows us to understand the behavior of particles in a material, particularly in relation to their energy levels and angular momentum. This is important in fields such as solid-state physics and materials science, where the properties of materials are closely tied to the behavior of their constituent particles.

5. Are there any practical applications of calculating spherical harmonics cuadratic dispersion?

Yes, there are many practical applications of calculating spherical harmonics cuadratic dispersion. These include understanding the electronic properties of materials, predicting the behavior of particles in magnetic fields, and developing new materials with specific properties for various applications. Additionally, spherical harmonics cuadratic dispersion is often used in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of quantum information theory.