Confused about battery's specific power and energy

In summary,the text quotes that Ni-Cd batteries have high specific energy (than Ld-acid) but the disadtantage is they have low specific power. This is because the power is limited by the internal resistance of the battery. The text also quotes that the Energy per kg is more fundamental than the Power per kg (the mass of the plate material must be very relevant here). If you increase the area of the plates then there is no inherent limit to the power you could get out of it; you can make the plates thinner and thinner and have a bigger and bigger area, allowing more and more current to flow. There will, of course, be practical limits to this, which must account for the figures
pchoopanya
Hello there,

I am so confused about the term battery specific energy (in Wh/kg) and specific power (in W/kg)

Actually, I know what it means by power and energy, of course P = E/t

But looking at the text, which quotes like "Ni-Cd batteries have high specific energy (than Ld-acid) but the disadtantage is they have low specific power"

and the table says,

Lead-acid 40 Wh/kg 180 W/kg
Nickel-cadmium 50 Wh/kg 120 W/kg
Nickel-metal hydride 70 Wh/kg 200 W/kg
Lithium-ion 130 Wh/kg 430 W/kg

What causes this to happen? How come, for the Ni-Cd which has higher Wh/kg has a lower W/kg compared to Ld-acid?

Isn't power derived from energy divided by time?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe an analogy will help:

The energy density of a battery is comparable to how many people a room can hold (i.e. the size of the room), while the power density is comparable to how quickly the people in that room are able to escape/leave the room (i.e. the number/size of exit doors). A high energy-density battery with a low power-density would then be equivalent to a large room full of people, but with only a single small exit door.

Typically, the electrical equivalent of the small door would be a high internal (current-limiting) resistance.

gnurf said:
Maybe an analogy will help:

The energy density of a battery is comparable to how many people a room can hold (i.e. the size of the room), while the power density is comparable to how quickly the people in that room are able to escape/leave the room (i.e. the number/size of exit doors). A high energy-density battery with a low power-density would then be equivalent to a large room full of people, but with only a single small exit door.

Typically, the electrical equivalent of the small door would be a high internal (current-limiting) resistance.

Hi gnurf,

This is so clear. I not get it.

Thank you so much

There are two important parameters which describe a battery. One is the amount of Energy it can store and the other is the Power it can produce. Because a battery is based on chemical reactions, the two parameters wouldn't be expected to 'track' one another.

I think that the Energy per kg is more fundamental than the Power per kg (the mass of the plate material must be very relevant here). If you increase the area of the plates then there is no inherent limit to the power you could get out of it; you can make the plates thinner and thinner and have a bigger and bigger area, allowing more and more current to flow. There will, of course, be practical limits to this, which must account for the figures which are quoted. A new construction technique could give an improved specific power for any given type.

1. What is the difference between battery's specific power and energy?

Battery's specific power refers to the rate at which energy is delivered from the battery. It is measured in watts per kilogram (W/kg). On the other hand, battery's specific energy refers to the amount of energy that can be stored in the battery per unit mass. It is measured in watt-hours per kilogram (Wh/kg).

2. How are battery's specific power and energy related?

Battery's specific power and energy are inversely related. This means that as the battery's specific power increases, its specific energy decreases and vice versa. This is because batteries with higher specific power are designed to deliver energy quickly, while batteries with higher specific energy are designed to store energy for longer periods of time.

3. Which one is more important, battery's specific power or energy?

It depends on the application. For devices that require a lot of power in a short amount of time, such as electric cars, battery's specific power is more important. For devices that require a lower power output over a longer period of time, such as smartphones, battery's specific energy is more important.

4. How do battery's specific power and energy affect battery life?

Generally, batteries with higher specific power tend to have a shorter lifespan compared to batteries with higher specific energy. This is because delivering energy at a high rate can put more strain on the battery and cause it to degrade faster. However, advancements in battery technology have resulted in batteries that have both high specific power and energy without compromising overall battery life.

5. Can battery's specific power and energy be improved?

Yes, research and development in battery technology are constantly working towards improving both specific power and energy. This includes developing new materials and designs for batteries, as well as optimizing their performance through better management systems. However, there are limits to how much these metrics can be improved, and it ultimately depends on the intended use of the battery.