Which one is reducing and which is oxidising?

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
In summary, when given two half equations, you can determine which one is oxidizing and which one is reducing by remembering the mnemonic "OIL RIG" (Oxidation Is Loss, Reduction Is Gain). To determine what will happen when both half cells are present, you will need to apply the standard reduction potentials table.
Procrastinate
When a question with two half equations set out like below, how do I tell which one is oxidising and which one is reducing? Do I have to apply the standard reduction potentials table?

Co2+ + 2e- -> CO (s)
Ag+ +e- -> Ag (s)

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
When a question with two half equations set out like below, how do I tell which one is oxidising and which one is reducing? Do I have to apply the standard reduction potentials table?

Co2+ + 2e- -> CO (s)
Ag+ +e- -> Ag (s)

Thank you.

Remember, lose electrons oxidized, gain electrons reduced

gabriels-horn said:
Remember, lose electrons oxidized, gain electrons reduced

And as a memory aid:

OIL. RIG

Oxidation Is Loss. Reduction Is Gain (of electrons)

Procrastinate said:
Do I have to apply the standard reduction potentials table?

Assuming you were asked to say what will happen if both half cells are present - yes.

--

Yes, to determine which half equation is reducing and which is oxidizing, you can use the standard reduction potentials table. The more positive the reduction potential, the stronger the oxidizing agent and the more negative the reduction potential, the stronger the reducing agent. In the given half equations, the half equation with Co2+ has a more positive reduction potential compared to the half equation with Ag+, indicating that the Co2+ is the oxidizing agent and the Ag+ is the reducing agent.

1. What is meant by "reducing" and "oxidising" in a chemical reaction?

In a chemical reaction, a reducing agent is a substance that donates electrons and becomes oxidized, while an oxidizing agent is a substance that accepts electrons and becomes reduced.

2. How can I determine which substance is acting as a reducing agent and which is acting as an oxidizing agent?

The substance that is being oxidized is the reducing agent, while the substance that is being reduced is the oxidizing agent. This can be determined by looking at the changes in oxidation states of each element in the reaction. The element that decreases in oxidation state is being reduced and is the oxidizing agent, while the element that increases in oxidation state is being oxidized and is the reducing agent.

3. Can a substance be both a reducing agent and an oxidizing agent in the same reaction?

Yes, a substance can act as both a reducing agent and an oxidizing agent in a single reaction. This is known as a disproportionation reaction, where a single substance is simultaneously oxidized and reduced, forming two different products.

4. How does the strength of a reducing or oxidizing agent affect the reaction?

The strength of a reducing or oxidizing agent determines how easily it can transfer electrons. A stronger reducing agent will donate electrons more easily, while a stronger oxidizing agent will accept electrons more readily. This affects the rate and direction of a reaction, as the stronger agent will be able to drive the reaction in its favored direction.

5. What are some common examples of reducing and oxidizing agents?

Some common reducing agents include metals such as sodium and magnesium, which readily donate electrons. Common oxidizing agents include halogens such as chlorine and fluorine, as well as oxygen and hydrogen peroxide. Other common oxidizing agents include compounds such as potassium permanganate and potassium dichromate.